Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router or Hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2003
IE
I am thinking of putting a small lan in my house would i use a hub or router? I want to hook up my cable modem to the router/hub so i can share my internet connection with the whole lan. Can I do this? Also I have heard that routers make all the computers in the network have the smae i.pp adress. How does that work? Will my friends still be able to connect to me for quake :) Also how is it that you asign yourself an i.p adress when using a network? i thought the isp gave u one. sorry this thing sounds like a three year old wrote it. please help :)

For a small home Lan I would use one of the Residential gateways availible. You can get them from 3Com, Linksys or Dlink etc. Make sure it will connect to your cable modem ( USB or RJ45 ). Also check that the gateway you buy has NAT (network address translation ) this will hide all the computers on your Lan behind one IP address and enough RJ45 ports to connect to your computers. Extras that are nice to have include a DHCP server, this helps setting up the Lan and a firewall for security and a printserver. Gateways range in price from $80 to $200 depending on model and extras inclued. One more thought , if you have the money buy a gateway with wireless capability for future expansion.

I have recently did a similiar thing for one of my Customers at his HOME.
I installed a small 8 Port switch, which connects all his PC's together and then us Then use teh internet sharing software that comes with win98 or XP to connect to the Internet and it works very well.

C4J

I have an 8 port synoptic hub. I hooked my cable modem to the hub and then tried to hook multiple laptops up to connect to the internet. THe laptop with a 10mbps card will connect, the laptops with 10/100 cards will not. Is it the cards or the hub?

I have an 8 port synoptic hub. I hooked my cable modem to the hub and then tried to hook multiple laptops up to connect to the internet. THe laptop with a 10mbps card will connect, the laptops with 10/100 cards will not. Is it the cards or the hub?

Make sure that you configure the laptops that are using the 10/100mbps cards to run at 10mbps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back