Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router or cable problem ? help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolakubes

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
Hiya

I work in a small office and recently had broadband installed, they supplied us a line and it goes into the modem and then the 4 port router, 1 of the lines goes to another router which supplies 100Mbs no problem, but one of the lines which runs about 15 meters max in length will not let me connect unless i have a 10Mbs router in the middle, im using cat 5e cables on all wirings, is there some other sort of cables i should be using in order to overcome this problem ?

Many Thx

If the line that is not working is going to a PC, check to make sure the NIC card in the PC is 10/100. Sounds like it's only 10Mbps.

Also, check to make sure that cable is not plugged into the uplink port of your hub.

That's more routing than you may need, are any of these switches perhaps?

Again on the wiring, don't mean to over simplify, but are these commercially made patch cords? Often folks make patch cords and do not follow the correct pinout, causing data problems.

OK so you plug your 15 meter patch cable from the 100mbs router into a PC and it 'won't let you connect'?

Do you have link lights when you plug into the 100 mbs router?

Can you ping the router and get a response?

Can you ping past the router to the modem and get a response?

We can help more if we know exactly what you mean by 'won't let me connect'.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

To Dougwillis .. yes its going to a pc with 10/100 NIC and it is definately not plugging into the uplink.

To daronwilson .. yes , these are commercial Cat 5 cables in a box thats about 100meters, if i use a shorter cable from the same hub slot it works no problem, the moment i plug it in the 15m cable , this pc in the far end, it shows 100Mbs connection , but when u try and get on the net , it dosent get thru at all .

I cant ping anything from it apart from itself even thought it says 100mps.

so far i have left it with the 10 mbs router , but im still kinda baffle by this.

any help in bringing my sleepness night will be greatly appreciated.

btw, i have made several of these cables (short 1's) without any problems , so i know its not the wiring that i ve done.

Many Thx

Oops lets go back, if YOU are making them, they are not commerical cables now are they?

are they pre made real cables? with molded ends and certified in a cat 5 tester?

or are you making cables yourself? Just because you used cat 5 wire does NOT make it a cat 5 cable.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

What order are the conductors in the plugs on your patch cables?
To get a link light you only need 1 pair, but to actually transmit and receive you need 2 pairs.
So we need to know how the patch cables are terminated.
Get out the magnifying glass and jot down the order the colors are in...please.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

I'm going to guess you aren't wiring the cable correctly. If you are making the cables up, you need to make sure you have a pair on the transmit pins and a pair on the receive pins.

Looking at the modular plug in your hand, with the cable exiting to your left and the little gold pins on your right, the clip on the bottom, the colors should be from TOP to bottom something like this:

1 - white orange
2 - orange white
3 - white green
4 - blue white
5 - white blue
6 - green white
7 - white brown
8 - brown white

If you are wiring it in some other order where you do not have a 'pair' on pins 1 and 2; and a 'pair' on 3 and 6, then you will likely have trouble at 100 mbs with a cable longer than 10-20 feet.

Could be something else, but by your description it sounds like this is a likely possibility.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Ok jimbo, its what im trying to clear up, do the plugs need to be moulded commercially , or can joe bloggs like me can make 1 up ? so i ll go out and get one.

Daron and Serv :
the wiring is as follows(holding it up by the wire ponting upwards looking at the gold contacts going from left to right.)

1: orange/white
2: orange
3: green/white
4: green
5: blue/white
6: blue
7: brown/white
8: brown

I have wired them identically on the other end.

btw , its cat5 UTP cables.

Pins 3 and 6 NEED to be a pair. it is called unshielded twisted pair cause you NEED the pairs. you have the orange pair on 1&2 but 3 &6 are two different colors, not a pair.

for VERY short distance you can wire them wrong, (but why would you?) but you need to wire them like the FAQ explains or Daron explains.

If they had been commerial cables we could have dismissed all this, as we could know they were made right, once we find you made them we get to suspect random wire order as a problem. (that is why I pounced, sorry)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

you can make your own and lots of folks do but for troubleshooting I would substitue a ready made quailty cable

if you do make your own you should use stranded cable not solid
you should be using a quality ratcheting crimp tool and quality plugs

As suspected, you see you have a PAIR on pins 1 and 2, but not on 3 and 6. Those are the pairs needed for 10BaseT and 100BaseT.
This is also why a short cable may work, but the longer you go the worse it gets.
This is why you should be suspect of some web sites that say "As long as they are the same on both ends, it doesn't matter"
Now it is proven again to be careful who you get advice from.
I don't mean to sound like I/We are picking on you, it just gets frustrating because some people post bad info or links in here, and then when someone uses the info, this happens.
I am sure once you BUY real patch cords, your problems should go away.

Here is a link for how they should look...visual works for me...lol

After having my ISP down for a whole day yesterday, im sorry i didnt get back to you folks earlier.

I ve followed the diagram on the link you have provided Richard and wired both ends according to the diagram, its works a treat !! , i was getting 100Mbs on that cable at last.

Question ! You had 2 diagrams for both end of the plugs wired differently, i now understood why 3/6 needs to be a pair , but what happens if i wired both ends with the following config as daronwilson have suggested?

1 - white orange
2 - orange white
3 - white green
4 - blue white
5 - white blue
6 - green white
7 - white brown
8 - brown white

love to try it out , but i ve ran out of plugs ^o^

Btw , I really appreciate all the help from everyone who chipped in to help me with this problem , as again , thx all

Glad you have things up and running...

If both ends are wired the same following the color code, you have a basic data patch cord. That would be used between a hub/switch and a computer.
For the data, the only time you would have the ends different is for a cross-over cable, which would be used to link 2 computers directly without a hub/switch. You may also use a cross-over between two hubs/switches if one doesn't have an MDI or uplink port. All an MDI or uplink ports does is swap pins 1 & 2 for 3 & 6 (for 10 or 100) to make an internal cross-over.

Lol , i guess i didnt read your link properly then , so now i have a 20 meters cross over cable !! but it works , :) thats the main thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back