Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router-on-a-stick for DOT1Q and ISL trunking between VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

npereira

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
CA
Hi,

I wanted to know what I need to setup InterVlan Routing.
I have a Cisco 2611 router and need to know what software I need loaded on it and what is the memory requirements.

This router has 32MB of RAM and 8MB of Flash.

I have a CD that contains all the software for the release 12.2(10b) but need to know which image needs to be loaded.

Thanks.

P.S.: I don't see the 2611 mentioned in the "Configuring InterVLAN Routing and ISL/802.1Q Trunking on a Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL/2950 Switch Using an External Router" on Cisco's website, so I'm wondering if it's because the 2611 only has Ethernet Int. and no FaEthernet ports !?!

Regards,

NP

So is the image name c2600-js-mz ?

If so, then I would need a 64MB Ram and 16MB Flash right?

Regards,

NP

That's what I figure because theres no talk about ethernet, only Fast Ethernet on all configuration documentation of Cisco's.

Thanks for the info!

NP

I have 4000 router running 12.2(1d) Enterprise that can do trunking (router on a stick) on it's 10 mg E0 interface.

You can run dot.1q, but not ISL. I believe ISL encapsulation requires 100/full to operate.

I could not find a link to support this, but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

HTH,
Nick

yeah I'm with CCIECAndidate my memory could be failing but when I first tried the router on a stick I could have sworn I was using dot1.q and a 10 meg interface on a 2600 no promises though....

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back