Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router newbiw needs help with 805 configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlancton

MIS
Jul 26, 2001
US
Hi,

I've got two Cisco 805's connecting two locations. Microsoft has advised us to open certain tcp and udp ports to allow Win2000 and XP to work properly over the WAN. I found out how to do ip forward-protocol udp <port>, but couldn't find how to do it with tcp ports. I would greatly appreciate any help on how to open tcp ports on the 805.

Thanks,

-Jeff Lancton

by default routers forwards any udp and tcp port that are not broadcasted unless it is denyed by extended access lists if you want to send a broadcast tcp or udp port to specified address via the router use the following command
ip helper-address <ip-address>
this is the command it will allow the common broadcast tcp/udp ports like DNS and DHCP broadcasts

by default routers forwards any udp and tcp port that are not broadcasted unless it is denyed by extended access lists if you want to send a broadcast tcp or udp port to specified address via the router use the following command
ip helper-address <ip-address>
on the interface which you will recieve the broadcast tcp/udp and also you can use the following command with access lists
ip directed-broadcast
this is the command it will allow the common broadcast tcp/udp ports like DNS and DHCP broadcasts

Thanks for the reply; I've got the ip helper address in for the DHCP/WINS server, but Microsoft is saying there's other ports required for Active Directory such as Kerberos, LDAP etc. Do I need to do anything specific for them?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back