Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

router interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugdog

MIS
Apr 10, 2002
US
If my wic only have one port, does this mean it can only have one interface?

That's true. Cisco has two WIC models: 1T and 2T. You probably have a WIC-1T.

If I want to use dhcp and static ip, does it mean that I will need to obtain a t2 wic card. One port for the dhcp and the other for static.

option 2: setup rras on w2k server and pray.

I am sorry, I am not following you. The way I look at this using DHCP is not related to the number of interfaces. If you are going to use the router as a DHCP server, you are going to lease ip address for users connected to the Ethernet interface while de WIC interface is used for WAN. To go any further in this matter, I would need to better know what do you have and where are you intend to go.

I currently have 100% static IP. I would like to go mix 75% dynamic/25% static. I am under the impression that in order for my dynamics to route to the static I would need a interface for both segments. To my knowledge only one segment can be setup with one port on my wic.

You may have static Ip's along with Dynmic on one subnet. Just make sure to specify your DHCP scope to start at say 192.168.1.100 + and you have everything below .100 to assign staticly..This should not affect routing..Etc.

Did I miss what you were asking??

Thanks all for your valuable input.

The issue is can I have two different ip ranges one public and one private on a router with one ethernet port. I am under the impression that it is not possible.

I think you are right...I have never heard of having a public/private ip on one port...

Pugdog i think you'll a little confused.

The wan interface (wic-1t) has nothing to do with dhcp.

Its just an interface, you can assign a static address to it or sometimes you may want an address assigned dynamically to it by another device (ie a dhcp server).

You can setup your router to assign addresses via dhcp. Its the essentially the same process as if you were using an OS based dhcp server, such as windows2000.

You can have multiple dhcp pools (address ranges which you allocate for dhcp leases). You can exclude addresses from a range (useful if you want to assign some static and some dynamic addresses from the same ip range).

If you have a dhcp pool with say a 192.168.0.0 address rangle and also a static address range of 10.0.0.0 you would need to configure your ethernet interface to route both addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back