Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router/Hub Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoon1

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
US
Hi List,
I have a broadband cable connection going directly from my cable modem to a belkin router. From my router I have one RJ45 cable going to a hub. The hub connect 3 computers for a total of 4 RJ45 cables, the hub is netgear and the button is pushed in for "uplink". The setup is working good.
How can I set administrator rights, and control my home network (kids on other computers) How can I monitor the whole network... keep my eye on things?

So, your setup is:
[tt]
internet -- modem -- router -- hub |--PC1
|--PC2
|--PC3
[/tt]
Most Belkins have limited content filter settings...it usually relies on setting either a blacklist or a whitelist - either of which may be too restrictive for your setup.

In a home environment, you'll probably want to setup permissions on each machine. The alternative is setting up something like a Windows Domain, which most people would consider overkill (plus you need to invest in more hardware). Or you could purchase a seperate firewall - again, overkill.

A general rule in IT security is that if you have physical access to a machine, you can compromise it. Your kids can touch the machines, therefore they could (in theory) get around whatever permissions you set.

(Assuming you're running Windows XP) give the kids non-administrator logins (their user type should be 'restricted user'). This will make it harder for them to circumvent the permissions.

Look for a content filter which runs on a stand-alone machine...something like NetNanny or CyberPatrol. It normally takes deliberate action to get around this type of protection, so let your kids know what's expected of them and they'll (hopefully) behave.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Thank you Manarth, I will look into those programs. I am running xp- however, if I try to do certain things on my machine it says &quot;contact your administrator&quot; LOL whats up with that?
Just not sure where to set these things up?
Help please!
Thanks

Windows supports 2 types of administrators:
- local administrator
- network administrator

Network administrators usually apply when you're setting up domains. Don't worry about these.

You need to be logged on as an administrator to do certain things.
When you install windows, it asks you to create (at least one) username. Each user has a certain type of account (usually either 'Limited account' or 'Computer administrator'). You can see what type of account you're using by going to &quot;control panel&quot; --> &quot;user accounts&quot;

If your kids are setup as &quot;Computer adminstrator&quot;, change it to &quot;Limited account&quot;.

When you get the message, what is you're trying to setup?

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Thanks again for answering, Manarth. I went and echecked everyone's computer, under accounts like you said. Everyone is listed as the administrator, and it won't let me change the setting!!
Hmmm now I don't know what to do.
But just as an example of whats going on....
I went to change my internet options and a dialog box pops up and says &quot;see your administrator&quot; LOL
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Okay .. just to add ...
We all have our own winXP OS registered versions.
It's 3 seperate machines running from the setup you illustrated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back