Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaystd

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
CA
Recently I added a router to my network sop i could have 3 computers on the internet without kicking another off and without having to buy a new IP from my ISP so everything works great. But now when i wanna share a file on MSN i cant! and when i wanna share something using my FTP server they cant connect to my computer. How do i get into my router and fix this and how can i find my router IP? i have my router assigned IP for this computer 168.123 wtc but i wanna share files and use my FTP server like i did when i had a hub.

Please help

Most of the small routers have an embedded web page for configuration. More info, like the make of your router will help us help you.

OK i finally found how to get into my webpage configuration for my Gnet IP0006 Router and i figure if i open the port for the msn messenger protocol i can send files, but to do that i have to log on using a password. The default is admin it says but i type it in and password is incorrect. will reseting the router reset the password and how can i change it? thanks for your reply's

Have you checked the website of the manufaturer? Or for that matter, the manual that came with the unit?

Most routers have the ability to open certain ports for special apps.

MSN has a trigger of:47624
And uses ports :2300-2400,28800-29100,6667,47624,443,80

Set these and you should be good.

As for signing into the unit, admin IS the normal default Pword. Make sure you try it all lower case. If that doesn't work, try all caps. If not that, cap A and lowercase dmin.

As for your FTP server, depending on the capabilities of your router, you can either port all FTP (port 21) to an IP addy of your internal network. If it doesn't have this capability, then you might end up having to put the FTP on the DMZ of the router. Good luck, and Happy Computing

THANKS! i figured it out i just reset my router. can you plz tell me where you found that trigger and ports info.

thanks

I got that info from the manufacturer of my router. Usually, they will have such info on the website, or be a selection setting within the router firmware itself. Glad to hear you got it going. Good luck, and Happy Computing

I'm having a similar problem, i can't send or recieve any files on irc, msn etc ... on p2p applications like kazaa and edonkey i get really crap download and upload rates, and have trouble connecting, and can't connect at all with ftp.

I am using an alcatel speedtouch pro; 4 port dsl router with 3 computers connected. The router's ip is 10.0.0.138 and i can get into the CLI and the webpage config screen, but can't find anything in there to fix my problem.

edonkey says port 4662 is unreachable and that i have lowid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back