Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Dhcp or Windows 2000 Dhcp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaArtist

Technical User
Feb 5, 2004
US
I have a netopia router which is a DSL combo router/switch. Inside I have setup the ports and also the private ip's for my network. My question is could I also setup the DHCP scopes in windows 2000 Adv Server to do the same? and would this work?? or should I use one or the other??

You have to use one or the other (they will conflict with one another...

Greater control and more options come with the win2k dhcp.. but if you don't need either of those, then the netopia is fine...

BuckWeet

thanks for the advice, I will go with the 2nd suggestion using w2k dhcp. I have one question? for the router would I use the def gateway given by my isp or the server ip address for the clients?

For the router to communicate with your ISP, you need to use the gateway they gave you for the External Interface or WAN port.

Your clients should use the internal IP of the DSL router for the gateway to the internet.

Hope this helps!

would I also have to enable NAT in win2k instead of on the router?? I setup win2k dhcp and used the ip address of my isp for the router connection and the server ip address for the internal users. I am using 2 separate nic cards for this. I turned off the Router DHCP and Nat as well. but now I cant get onto the internet.

we have the same settings. here's what i did. it works fine

the routers settigs
lan - 192.168.0.1
wan - your public ip (from isp)
subnet - 255.255.255.0
gateway - your public gateway (from isp)
dns - use dns of isp

nic settings

ip - 192.168.0.200
subnet - 255.255.25.0
gateway - 192.168.0.1

dhcp on win2k
nat on router

hope this helps

your setup is very unclear my lan will be:

Lan
IP: 192.168.0.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
DefGtway: 192.168.0.1

Router
Wan (2nd Nic Card)
IP: (ISP Wan IP)
Mask: 255.255.255.0
DefGtway: (ISP Wan Gtway)

Is this the setup that I would config DHCP in Win2k with??
and would I leave nat enabled on my router?? or enable nat thru Win2k?? this is what I need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back