Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

billbo

Technical User
Mar 13, 2001
US
Are the command used by different manufactures routers the same, i.e is there some unwritten standard for router commands.
I have 1 cisco 2501 and 1 superstack netbuilder 432, I would like to connect them together back to back, however at my early stage of learning, I dont want to get confussed by different commands from different manufactures, would I be better off getting another router from he same manufacture?

Thanks in Advance

Nope - Sorry. As a matter of fact, Cisco and 3Com approach management completely different. 3Com os very menu based and Cisco is more CLI based. If I were you and had to choose, I would stick with the Cisco stuff. 3Com is kind of out of the market when it comes to enterprise equipment.

How about an Enterasys Networks router?

Very intuitive command line.

You can also change it to a cisco like command line.

Enterasys Netowrks was formerly Cabeltron Systems, Cabletron Systems bought Yago Systems for the routers. Yago was formed by disgruntled cisco engineers.

I have problem with 3com routers. The traffic one way is ok but otherway is very slow. The difference is too rediculous in case of decnet. The statisticks are 10minutes vs 2 hours for the same size of file. for ip traffic 2:5. Can anyone tell me the testing commands to check the traffic on router for decnet. For Ip u have ping atleast to check the delay, variation with packet size etc. Is there any command for decnet traffic. Meanwhile we are planning to repace akk
3com stuff with cisco. We tried replac once and failed, because there is lot of stuff to consider like LAT, decnet and IPX. Can anyone have a clue how to go ahead about this problem.

srihari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back