Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router causing cable modem problems? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed2020

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
GB
Hi,

For the past week or so I have been having problems with my cable modem dropping its connection to the Internet. My cable provider has been out once to check the line and swap the modem, but I've been having the same problems since.

Earlier today my Linksys WRT54G has turned its toes up - power light flashing, nothing else happening. It's unpingable and cannot be repaired (I've tried everything).

My question is, is it possible that the two issues are related - could a failing router have caused the cable modem connection problems? Or possible vice versa?

TIA,

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

When you say the cable modem was dropping connections was the cable light on solid at the time?
I have run into infected computers and defective routers broadcasting so much that the modem appears unreachable (using tests from the providers cable side).Shutting off the affected computer or taking the router off power brought the connection back.

Nope, the Cable light on the modem was off. The router is definitely toast and there is no malware on the PC.

Ed Metcalfe.

Yes it is possible. I have seen this happen where the router gets flaky, that in turn causes the connection from the cable modem to be flaky..until the device finally dies. Time to get a new one. Off the shelf routers are cheap, but they have no way of warning when they are sick and are about to puke.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE, CCNA, BICSI II

With more than 16 years experience to share.

Thanks Mark, and apologies for the delay in replying - been on a course for the past week so haven't had time to catch up with tek-tips.

I've replaced the router and everything seems fine now.

Ed Metcalfe.

Those LinkSys Cisco wannabe WRT54G routers, I have found, are good for about two years, then they crap the bed, so to speak.

Burt

If the cable modem light is off completely it is losing rf lock with its CMTS which means its offline.

you should talk to your isp and ask for db levels for both downstream and upstream.

better yet navigate to the modems admin page and take a look at both your SNR and your downstream level (aka forward)

Majority of issues with modems losing lock are rf related.

Hi,

Thanks for that. It seems I had two separate problems (I'm just unlucky I guess!).

My router was definitely dead so that's been replaced. After replacing it I was still having intermittent problems with the cable modem going offline as well. After a couple of visits from ISP engineers they tracked the problem down to a faulty splitter.

They've replaced it and so far no more problems. In fact my connection is faster as well, which is nice. :)

Ed Metcalfe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back