Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

router and switch query

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanchia

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
SG
hi all, i have a 2514 cisco router and a 2950 catalyst switch.

i have a public ip address, and i want to use the router to route the public ip to the switch and from the switch branch out to various pc with private ip. Is that feasible ?

If yes, how do i do that ?
If no, what are your suggestions ?

thanks,
alan

Suggest you look into NAT, you can only perform this on your router though. For example your 2514, eth0 is public/outside address then supply eth1 with the inside/private ip address. Configure the router to perform NAT (Network Address Translation).

Use this as a guideline should give you some solid information.

tschouten is correct. You will have to perform nat if you only have 1 valid public address. To configure nat is easy. I would suggest reading the link but here is a config as well.

Note: This needs to be done on the 2514 router.

interface eth 0
description Connection to Internet
ip address x.x.x.x <- this is your public IP
ip nat outside
no shut

interface eth 1
description Connection for HOME PC's
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 <- this could be any address
ip nat inside
no shut

access-list 1 permit 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.255
ip nat inside source list 1 interface ethernet0 overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 interface ethernet0

That is enough if you wanted dhcp configured on the router so your client PC's could run dhcp for addressing you can do that as well.

thanks for all your replies, but my cisco IOS version is 11.2 which does not support NAT. Any suggestions ?

regards,
alan

Cmon,

simply configure you router's ethernet port with Public IP and then configure ur switches accordingly

i have already configured the the outside ethernet port to be a public ip but what about the inside ethernet port ? what should i put ??

I would like to look at the IOS version you are currently running and memory resources you have. Would you post a sh version of your router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back