Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router A w/VPN and Router B on Same network

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2Xprt

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2002
US
I'm trying to set something up here.

We have two DSL lines as we have combined households. Here's the deal.

Router/Gateway A (192.168.1.1) is connected and DMZd to a Cisco RVS4000 VPN router. Computers can go on the net and life is good.

Router/Gateway B (192.168.2.1) when connected we get router behind router errors. How can one have both routers attached so that B acts as a failsafe should A go down (I know the VPN will be inaccesable, but thats OK).

All PCs in the house have both gateways listed in the NIC properties, but we need to avoid the router behind router errors.

Should I just have router B disable DHCP? And just leave all PCs with both gateways defined?

Thank You.

Cisco also sells routers that will allow 2 internet connections, this is what you want.

You need to add static routes in the routing table of the machines. I found an article that starts with the basics of routing then builds on that onto how advanced routing works. It is very well put togethe and help me a lot. If you need it you will be able to do what you want as it explains how routers works

Great, thanks. I'll check it out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back