Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Route between Vlans

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfredSpecial

Programmer
Apr 4, 2005
GB
I have a few 2650's connected via mini Gbic and was wondering if i set up two vlans say Vlan1 for data and Vlan2 for voice how do i go about routing between them.

What are my options?

1. External router supplied by customer

or

2. Setup ip routing on the 2650's

can i use both?

I was thinking of doing this:
have no default gateway on 2650's and do this from the CLI:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x
where x is ?????ip address of what??????

hope this makes sense!!

If you are still interested in doing this I could send you some screen shots on how to setup the vlans.

I wouldn't do it on the network gateway since in most cases gateways don't support QOS. That is if you also want to use softphones, or want the phones on a diffent subnet as the voice server...
i2007

How was this resolved? I have a similar situation.

Thanks,

To answer alfredspecial earlier question, you can easily setup two vlans on the 26500 and route between with out the need to use an external router.

1. Create 2 vlans

2. Assign ip addresses on the 2650 to each vlan and make sure they are not on the same network ie. 192.168.1.2/24 for vlan1 and 192.168.2.2/24 for vlan2.

3. Turn on ip routing

4. Setup you devices on each vlan and assign the ip
address that was assigned to each vlan on the 2650 switch.

ie. 192.168.1.2 would be the gateway for vlan1
192.168.2.2 would be the gateway for vlan2

An easy way I find to setup these steps is to use the menu option from the cli on the switch. Type menu at the cli and press enter.

Then you should get a similiar menu to the following

1. System Information
2. Port/Trunk Settings
3. Network Monitoring Port
4. Spanning Tree Operation
5. IP Configuration
6. SNMP Community Names
7. IP Authorized Managers
8. VLAN Menu...
0. Return to Main Menu...

Select 2. Switch Configuration and this menu displays

1. System Information
2. Port/Trunk Settings
3. Network Monitoring Por
4. Spanning Tree Operatio
5. IP Configuration
6. SNMP Community Names
7. IP Authorized Managers
8. VLAN Menu...
0. Return to Main Menu...

Select 8. Vlan Menu to create vlans and assign specific ports to each vlan

Select 5. ip configuration to assign ip address to each vlan
and enable ip routing.

hope this helps.

Thank you so much for that info. I'm going to work on it now. I may have further questions, but this answered many of them.
Thanks,
Tom

One question that comes to mind. I have six switches. Do I need to set this up on every switch or just the main switch that all other switches feed?

Thanks

OK, sorry to be so dumb. Can this be setup through the web interface? I assigned IP addresses to each of the VLANs but I can't find a place to turn on IP routing.

If I need to use the cli, how does that work. Again, I'm sorry for the extremely stupid questions.

Thanks

Yes, you could just the main switch perform all of the routing between vlans. The only issue that comes to mind is how communication will there be between vlans and whether or not your main switch can handle it.

I happy to help. Just yell if you have any more questions.

Yes, more questions. I used telnet to get into the configuration to turn on IP Routing. I have manually set IP addresses to each VLAN. Can you explain #4 in your instructions? I'm having trouble finding where to change the gateway.

Thanks so much.

I can see in the IP configuration how to change the default gateway (in the web access), but it appears to be global. How can you set a different gateway for each VLAN / subnet?

Yea, I can see how that would be confusing. Let say for example you configured the for following ip addresses for each vlan

10.11.1.2/255.255.255.0 for vlan1
10.11.2.2/255.255.255.0 for vlan2

then

the default gateway for each device on vlan1 should be set to 10.11.1.2.

the default gateway for each device on vlan2 should be set to 10.11.2.2

Hmmm.
Ok,
I have 3 VLANs:

employees = VLAN1 = 10.11.1.20/16
guest = VLAN2 = 192.168.2.20/24
VOIP = VLAN3 = 192.168.0.20/24

I have IP Routing turned on. I checked the IP Routes and they show the VLAN, the destination subnet and the gateway. The name of the VLAN is listed as the gateway, so it looks like this:

Dest. Gateway VLAN Type
10.11.0.0/16 employee 1 connected
192.168.2.0/24 guest 2 connected
192.168.0.0/24 VOIP 3 connected

It also shows a couple that I don't know anything about. One with a gateway of "reject" and the other with a gateway of "lo0". I figure those are system things, so I didn't mess with them.

Now to the question.
Say I want someone on VLAN1 (employee) to connect to something on VLAN2 (guest); in their network configuration, do I give the employee a secong gateway setting that points to the guest gateway? That would be the address of the guest VLAN as I set it up in the IP config... right? The address I gave the guest VLAN is 192.168.2.20/24. So I just add that as a second gateway in the employees machine? I could also add that gateway to the DHCP server for employees, right?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thank you for the help. I think I almost have it.
Tom

I tried adding the VLAN2 IP address to the lsit of gateways for a client on VLAN1. I am unable to ping computers on VLAN2. If this were working, I figure I should be able to ping between subnets.
What did I miss?

Thanks,

I need more info.

What is the ip address & gateway of a pc on vlan1?
What is the ip address & gateway of a pc on vlan2?

A computer on VLAN1:
10.11.1.51/16
gateway: 10.11.1.1 (firewall/router)
I setup 2 additional gateways on the VLAN1 client computer of: 10.11.1.20/16 (VLAN1 IP address on the switch) & 192.168.2.20/24 (VLAN2 IP Address on the switch

Currently, I don't have any computers on VLAN2. I just have a router to get to the internet (192.168.2.1).

I figured that if I setup a computer on VLAN1 as described above, that I could ping VLAN2's router. But, I can't. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm going to make sure there are no "cheap" switches lurking between the "real" switches that have this configuration.

Thanks for the help. I'll try aything to get this going soon.

Well, I suppose you could have multiple gateways on a pc but I'm not sure how that will effect you access to other networks. I do know that you couldn't use the 192.168.2.20 as a additional gateway for the computer 10.11.1.51 because your gateways have been on the same network as the ip of the computer. Try this.

Use only one gateway for the pc (10.11.1.51). set the gateway to 10.11.1.20. Now setup a pc on vlan2 and make sure its gateway is set to 192.168.2.20. Now see if the computers can ping each other? If they do then that's one thing done. Now, Is the vlan2 router(192.168.2.1) setup with a default gateway or default route? If it isn't then you will need to set this up before vlan1 pc's will be able to see it.

By the way does the vlan1 router (10.11.1.1) & vlan2 router(192.168.2.1) have access to the internet?

I'm assuming the firewall/router(10.11.1.1) is also used to connect to the internet. If you setup a default route on the hp switch then your pc(10.11.1.51) should be able to get to the internet.

I believe you can add the default route on the switch with the following commmand: "IP Route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.11.1.1"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back