Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rounding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MushMouse

Programmer
Mar 29, 2004
US
I have a field called MinGauge in a table.
fieldsize: single
decimal places: auto

In a query, I have the following code:
MinGauge
Test: IIf([MinGauge]>0,[MinGauge],0)

When I print run the query , here's a sample of results:
MinGauge Test
0.015 0.0149999996647239
0.1 0.100000001490116

Can anyone tell me why this is happening & how I can make the value in Test = to MinGauge when MinGauge > 0?

Thanks!

You may try this:
Test: CDec(IIf([MinGauge]>0,[MinGauge],0))

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I got just tried it.
I keep getting the error message "The expression you entered has a function containing the wrong number of arguments".
I can't imagine why CDec isn't working. I even tried "CDec(MinGauge) & got the same error message.
So I tried replacing CDec with CSng.
No error message, but rounding problem still appears.
I did a search in my project to see if maybe I had accidentally used CDec as a public variable. I didn't.

I read someplace that access has a rounding problem which can be alleviated by using the Round function. I've incorporated it into the code & am getting the desired results, but I still find it disturbing that the actual values are not accurate and that I have to choose a value to round by.....

The working code is below:
Test: Round((IIf([MinGauge]>0,[MinGauge],0))+0.000001),5)

If you deal with EXACT values then don't use Single nor Double.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Decimal or Currency.

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back