Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rounding One Corner, Not All Corners

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxdesigner

Technical User
Sep 29, 2006
US
How do I create one rounded corner on, say, a rectangle, in Illustrator?

There's an action on the Adobe Exchange website that does this (it's pretty nifty if you look at how it's done):

Round Corner Action

You may have to register, it's free, and Adobe won't send you all kinds of garbage if you do.

HTH

Bert

One note, though, it only works on corners that point OUT (like on a rectangle), not on corners that point IN (like the armpits on a star.

Is there a way to do this manually and with geometric precision? I'm using Windows, so the action won't work for me. (It's only for Illustrator CS/Mac.)

You can try this.

Draw an empty rectangle with a thin stroke and keep selected. Select the Add Anchor Point tool from the Pen tool section of tools palette. Place the point of the add anchor point tool on the upper horizontal line of the rectangle JUST inside the little box marking the upper right corner of the rectangle. Now add another anchor point on the right vertical line of the rectangle JUST below that upper right corner box.

Now go to Effect menu/stylize/round corners. Pick the radius and check Preview. You’ll see that the corner with the anchor points stayed square while the other 3 corners rounded.

To make a rectangle with only one or 2 rounded corners you would use the add anchor point method on any corners you don’t want rounded.

It helps to really blow up your rectangle when doing this so you can place the anchor point tool JUST inside that little corner box.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

How about you copy your shape, paste on top (ctrl-f), and then round the corners of the one on top. Then expand the shape (edit-expand), so that it's no longer an effect.

Then cut both shapes in multiple places, but the same spot for each shape. Then, delete the square corners you don't want, delete the rounded corners you dont want, then join the remaining broken paths.. direct select marquee and ctrl-j (they have to be exactly on top of eachother for this to work).

pdx:

Actions are not platform sensitive. I use windows, and it works fine for me.

Bert

Oh, I was just going by what it said on its Exchange page. So I put "Round 1 corner.aia" in my Presets\Actions folder of Illustrator CS2. But when I start Illustrator, I don't know where to find the action. There's not much in the way of documentation with this. How do I use this new tool?

From the Actions Palette (Window>Actions), click on the Context arrow at the top right, then select "Load Actions", navigete to the proper folder, and click on the "Round 1 Corner" file. Then, it should ba available to you.

Make sure, that the Actions Palette is not set for "Button Mode", in which case it won't let you do diddly. Button Mode is handy once you have the action loaded, makes it easier to run it by clicking on a button.

Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back