Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Round numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowz75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
I am exporting an access database to excel. the database is a call center database that tracks system downtime and the impact. Impact varies from green=up-low impact, yellow=partial-medium impact, and red=down-major impact. The export expression, listed below, takes the close date and time - the open date and time, converts to minutes and then tack on the impact. I am trying to get either access or excel to display a round number. The expression and the result are listed below. Excel will not autoformat a mixed (number and text) cell. Win 2K SP4 OS and Office/Access 2K.

Expression:
TimeToRepair: ([MPR].[Close Date]-[MPR].[Open Date])*1440 & "Minutes" & [System Impact] & "Time"

Current Result:
188.999999997905 Minutes Green Time

Desired Result:
189 Minutes Green Time

One way would be to round the number first:
Code:
TimeToRepair: [COLOR=red]round([/color]([MPR].[Close Date]-[MPR].[Open Date])*1440[COLOR=red], 0)[/color] & "Minutes" & [System Impact] & "Time"

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

We use this:
Code:
Public Function RoundTotal(ByVal dblNumber As Double, ByVal intDecimals As Integer) As Double

'Comments   : 
  '           : 0.5 is rounded up
  'Parameters : dblNumber - number to round
  '           : intDecimals - number of decimal places to round to
  '           : (positive for right of decimal, negative for left)
  'Returns    : Rounded number

Dim dblFactor As Double
    Dim dblTemp As Double         ' Temp var to prevent rounding problems in INT()

dblFactor = 10 ^ intDecimals
    dblTemp = dblNumber * dblFactor + 0.5
    RoundTotal = Int("" & dblTemp) / dblFactor

End Function

It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your
neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

Don't know if this would work, something I would try myself while waiting for the correct syntax/ideas

TimeToRepair: int(([MPR].[Close Date]-[MPR].[Open Date])*1440) & "Minutes" & [System Impact] & "Time"

Might work??

All,

Thanks for the replys. I tested round and int and both worked. The only difference was that round returned 189 while int returned 188. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back