Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotoscoping Film-Strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsiPhi

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2002
AU
Maybe I should post this to a Photoshop forum, but hopefully there's someone out there who knows how to do this (please tell me I'm not alone!!!!). Ahem. Anyway, I've been exporting video from AE as Filmstrip files at around 13 fps. Once it's in Photoshop I can pixelate, mutate, agitate etc. to my hearts content. Once the pixels have been thouroughly munched I then save as a Filmstrip again and import back into AE.... no problem.
However, once I create layers (anyone who rotoscopes lightsaber battles will know what I'm talking about), I can't seem to save back into the Filmstrip format. I've flattened, messed around with different alpha-channel settings, added the .flm extension manually etc. etc. etc. but it's not working. I've got a million ideas for things that I really want to do - it's one of my favoutite techniques and I can't use it!!! I'll drink a pint of Guinness to the good health of anyone who can help me out.
Thanks kids.
PsiPhi

I've heard of this happening with other people, but I've not heard that there was a specific something that solved it.

However...

Here's what I would do.

First, I'd noodle on the problem for an afternoon using a tiny file (3 seconds, say), to reduce overall frustration. I believe I would find a solution (which is what would drive me)

If I still couldn't get it done, then I would try to automate as much as possible. AE can export a series of bitmaps and Photoshop can be programmed to automatically do certain things to all files in a folder, and AE (I think) can import a series of files (if not, Premiere certainly can).

Have you checked out the tutorials at yet? These guys do craploads of lightsaber battles.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Cheers Edward,
I know what you mean, but I've banged my head against this numerous times and nothing has come to light. I also know how to run batches in Photoshop, but this definitly isn't the answer - the whole point of making filmstrip files is to be able to easily reference roto work on adjoining frames and create selections across the entire file. Even creating animated masks in AE would be preferable to the batch method for some things.
If anyone can help, I reckon those wacky StarWars kids will know the way. It doesn't really look like it works the way I'd love it to, though. Maybe I should write to Adobe...

PsiPhi

hello, you know about the render beam filter in AE, right? that's a sure fire efficient way to do lightsabre battles directly in AE.

I had this problem with film strips some time ago and there is no way, yet, to build a filmstrip with layers. All you do then is do the work on separate layers in PS and merge visible keeping only the necessary layers visible so that you end up with each layer as a separate filmstrip. This does create big file sizes, though, and you better have a good computer but AE then does the overlays beautifully. you can also try out all the different types of overlayes, plus insert/animate lights add the sparks blah blah blah, composite explosions.

I could go on....

John

Hey Ive done alot of rotoscoping myself and I can give you some instructions on how to do the whole lot using photoshop and premiere if you like? I have written out a word document so if you want it let me know. Something I dont know if you have done this but when you open the filmstrip into photoshop resave it but as a .psd (photoshop format) then edit it. Flatten and Save it again as a .psd once your done then select everything and copy it. Open the original filmstip that was NOT edited and paste the edited version over it then turn it to screen so you can see through it. Now just save as a .flm and open in premiere or after effects. Does anyone want the full step by step guide? If you do then email me matthimself@btinternet.com.

Hope I helped

Hi Matt,
Thanks a million for taking the time and effort to help out with this. I guess copying and pasting would be a good work-around, but doesn't using the screen mode need layers and don't layers screw up the Filmstrip format? Ahh... you're talking about light-sabers, aren't you. It's not actually what I'm using the technique for so I guess I dont have to worry about that bit. Does this way mess with the alpha-channel containing the frame info in any way?

Anyway, I've sent on my address for that Word document and I'm really looking forward to getting this werking. Cheers!

Well when you have the filmstrip open save it as a .psd add a transparent layer over the image you are editing edit what you need to then remove the original image from the layer bellow so you are left with one transparent layer that the edited parts are on save this as a .psd but as a different filename. Now open the original .psd that was just your filmstrip paste the transparent layer over that. Now flatten the image and copy it all. Now open the original .flm file and past over that. Flatten the image now save as .flm and open in whatever. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back