Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotation of listener.log

Status
Not open for further replies.

teaboy

MIS
Sep 7, 2001
US
I am dealing with a full partition on a solaris box due to a very mis-managed listener.log file (~55 MB). Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to shut the listener down, get the log file out of the way, and start the listener back up due to the database being one of our primary production databases.
I can't seem to find if sending the listener process a SIGHUP/HUP will get it to re-read/re-create the log files properly, or if this will cause issues. Could someone please let me know if they've had success doing this in the past? I would like to put newsyslog or a similar utility in place to get rid of this issue in the future, but its method is still to send the process a HUP, so I'm back in the same boat again.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

T

Why don't you just null out the file?

at the command line type the following:

>listner.log

This nulls the file and should not cause any problems.

Bev

Bev -

I appreciate the input, but I have had issues in the past with simply nulling out the file, such as runaway memory consumption, etc. Basically the same results you would get from removing an active nohup.out file, for example.
If you have done this in the past with no issues, great, but the "should" on the last comment of your post is what makes me nervous. :)

Thanks again

T

On second thought, I just gave it a try as this appears to be the only way to do it, and it worked fine.

Thanks again, I guess I was just being paranoid.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back