Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotate Image 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingMom3

Programmer
Jun 20, 2008
US
Let's say I have an image of a car. I'd like to be able to rotate the car 360'. Actually, I'd like the user to be able to control the rotation through arrow buttons. Further, I'd like them to be able to make an X or a dot on the car when they have in view whatever they want in view. After they've marked their spot, if they continued rotating the car 360 from there, I'd like their mark to show up again. Their mark should appear to be a part of the image.

Looking at Flash and seeing what that can do for me.
I have no problems linking with another language if needed.
Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

excellent find mmaz. Thank you. Have a star from me.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB.NET Programmer

Thank you for the quick response.
Not exactly what I'm looking for.

I want to rotate the image in 3D so that the user can "mark" either the passenger side or the driver side. Almost like what you'd see in a CAD design.

Any other options?

I've never done it before. You might have to use a third-party component to do that. Or maybe Silverlight provides this functionality.

Anybody has a better idea?

Thank you. I wasn't familiar with Silverlight so I had to look it up. Unfortunately, I don't see what I'm suggesting.

Any other thoughts??

Really by what you have said so far you are not going to be able to do what you stated you wanted to do. You can't just take a 2D image and then just start using it in 3D. You would have to have some one make that image into a 3D model. Now if you mean you already have a 3D model, not an image, then you would need a 3rd party component, a 3D engine, that can render that model type.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.
-My kingdom for a edit button!

I guess I should quantify something. Technically if you had a set of full 360 degree shots of the object you could do what they do in flash and fake 3D. If that is the case you want to start looking into something like flash.

-I hate Microsoft!

Thanks all. Forgive me...I mis-spoke. When I said image...I meant either "model" - which is what I was describing. Looking to see if something like this has been done or can be done - will look at DirectX.

Have thought about the 360 thing. Could probably actually get away with 180 but concerned about refresh rates and performance issues. Something I'd have to check out.

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. All are welcome.

Yeah, RiverGuys suggestion of DirectX is really a great suggestion. When you want to deal singly with just a model it should work out well. Didn't even think of that. As a bonus where full 3D engine would kind of be overkill and usually cost, DirectX SDK is free.

-I hate Microsoft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back