Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rose Colors and their Meanings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
MAI is dedicated to language and communication, but that is not always limited to words. Given that today is Valentine's Day, both count and color are topical as the number of roses, and their colors, imply certain meanings.

What color roses do you want? What color are you giving?

I wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I didn't know the number of roses had any meaning. I know the colors mean different things.

I lucked out this year...my wife is of the opinion that Valentine's Day is meant for teenagers and younger couples (not that we're that old mind you). She told me not to get her anything...and she meant it too.

rjoubert - you wife is a woman (one could reasonably presume).

Trust me. She didn't really mean it.

At all!

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Yes, she did. She said the same thing last year, and actually got a bit upset at me for buying her flowers. She's originally from the Philippines, so Valentine's Day is not a holiday she is used to celebrating.

Well, I usually pick the most uncommon color of roses at the florist's. Last time: a faint orange with a red-ish tinge at the edges.
If I'm ordering by phone, I usually pick champagne-colored roses, as those were in also in her wedding bouquet. Cream-colored if champagne is not available.

p5

When my husband proposed to me, he gave me a single red rose (love), a single white rose ("I am worthy of you"), and a single yellow rose (friendship; "I care"). I carried the same arrangement as my wedding bouquet, and it's the combination that my husband will give me for special occasions.

This year, instead of giving me a floral arrangement, we're buying rose bushes to plant in the front yard.

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

I found this:
www.rosesbydesign.co.uk said:
Red - Love, Romance, Beauty, Passion, I love you; Desire, Courage; Respect
Red (Dark or Burgundy) - Unconscious beauty
Red -Withered - I would rather die, Our love is over
White - Purity, Youth, Pure Love, Virginal, Innocence and purity, I am worthy of you, You're heavenly
Pink - Happiness, Appreciation, Thankfulness, Grace, Gentle Love, Please believe me
Dark Pink - Gratitude, Thank You
Yellow - Joy, Gladness, Friendship, Delight, Platonic Love, Jealousy, Freedom
Yellow with Red Tip - Falling in Love
Orange - Fascination, Desire, Passion, Enthusiasm
Red and White - Two colors; Passionate Purity, Unity
Peach - Sincerity, Gratitude, Appreciation, Modesty, Admiration, Sympathy
Lavender - Love at first sight, Enchantment
Black - Death, Farewell
Blue - Impossible, Unattainable, Mystery
Red Rosebud - Symbol of Purity and Loveliness
White Rosebud - Girlhood, Youth
Thornless Rose - "Love at First Sight"
Single Rose - Simplicity
Two Roses - An engagement or coming marriage
Leaves - Symbol of hope
Roses-Sent every month - Beauty ever new

This site actually offers roses with messages written on the petals.

Yuck.

Fee

Have you seen the lurid multi-coloured ones you can get now? I believe they mean "I have more money than sense".

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

I sent my wife a single red rose in a bud vase, but also a "valentine's balloon".

I used to get yellow roses (friendship) for the secretary and the administrative assistant here at work for valentines. I, personally, thought it was a nice way to say "thank you" to both of them, let them know I value their friendship, etc.

The boss accused me of being "Inappropriate" and bordering on "sexual harassment".

Bleh.

That's what I get for trying to be nice.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

I think your boss has a screw loose.

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

Fee,

I am a woman, too. And while I know that both, number, color and the kind of flowers (why necessarily roses?) can have meaning, and I like flowers, I prefer to get them for a different and more meaningful occasion. And I do mean it. Not that I expect any today ;-). Because he means it, too.

Me and my husband don't celebrate Valentine's Day, for several reasons. First, like rjoubert's wife, we are not used to celebrating it. While we took up some of the US holidays, this one still doesn't have any meaning to us.

I am not sure it is meant for teenagers and younger couples though (we are not that old, either :)). What it is meant for is aggressive marketing and massive sales of all stuff pink, red, and with hearts that you (well, we) don't want around because it won't be used after and will just create extra clutter (and I don't like those cheap milk chocolates, either).

I wouldn't mind some nice flowers for our anniversary or my birthday, though. And a good bottle of wine. And, possibly, a good cake or quality chocolate. A show or dinner out would be great, too, pending we have someone to babysit, but we can celebrate in the kitchen after the kids are in bed - it really is nice, also. Just not today.

I apologize to everyone who loves and celebrates Valentine's Day. Have a happy one.

As for the original question, in Russia and Ukraine (where I am from), etiquette requires to give an odd number of flowers to any person still alive. An even number (say, a dozen of roses :-D) may be brought to a funeral - sorry.

As for the color, yellow flowers usually mean upcoming farewell, for whatever the reason - from long trip to break up.

Red, you guessed it, love.

White is innocence and purity - very suitable for young brides - but can be given to anyone who loves it. I am at loss for more color meanings than that, and I don't know meanings of the flowers besides forget-me-not. Not many people know them these days, really.

sha76 said:
I believe they mean "I have more money than sense".
I love it!

This topic illustrates how the internet creates knowledge :)

There is no question that rose colors have been imbued with meaning over decades at least, if not centuries. But when one researches the internet for those meanings, one is likely to find not only varied meanings, but in fact opposite meanings tied to different colors. In one list, white may mean Joy and Yellow means Hope... another the opposite.

I certainly understand where discrepancies could arise from cultural differences, but I have a feeling that this is actually indicative of the masses creating facts that meet their needs... very much like a Tarot card reader that can interpret a card in an almost any manner that suits the 'readee'.
Once those 'facts' are published, they take on a life of their own. Does a Red rose really indicate 'true love'? Only in as much as the original author of the interpretation said it does.

A rose is a rose and if it is more lovely by virtue of its color, then it should be enjoyed.

~thadeus

I agree.

I'd much prefer to celebrate love on any old day, but were I in happy coupledom I'd kinda like a card for Valentines Day.

I do like this though. Some of these REALLY make me laugh.

Fee

If you are in Saudi Arabia, a [red]red rose[/red] could mean jail time!

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

I have picked many a rose just walking down the street, and simply gave it to the first lady I saw. no strings, or attatchments, just for the joy in their faces.
Ah,, a little waxing poetic:
To A Rose.
The smile that you gave me,
A moment, just a glance.
Matched the beauty you held in your hand.
For in that moment,
In the garden,
When compared to a boquet,
I knew I'd always let you know,
That your in love.
For to the rose,
You are the fragrance,
To the butterfly,it's hue.
To my waking eye's your beauty,
To my dreams, they are for you.
RMSCosmics 1979

I hope all the gramatical content is correct.

Although I have no one to call my own, and no one in any immediate sense, have a nice day to all the lovers.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

<since_we_are_already_off_topic>
When I proposed to my wife, I brought her 11 red roses and 1 white rose. I tied the engagement ring to the white rose and hid it in the other 11 roses.

Later her roommate said, "Don't white roses mean you're going to die?"

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

@Fee, awesome site, thank you very much =D

@Thadeus, Very thoughtful of the topic indeed. Well said.

@M52X, I like that poem. =)

I too find myself significant other-less for the day, and also with nobody in mind.
Have a great day everyone, not that a holiday is really ever required to wish anyone that. [wink]

~
Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The opening topic brought back a memory of reading one of the agatha christie books (one of the miss marple books if I recall) where they were discussing the "language of flowers" So after a google search I spent a fair ammount of time perusing several sites. Who'da thunk it of me?

Imagine sending a complete message to someone as a bouquet, Guess at how many misinterpretations are possible?

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

White - Purity, Youth, Pure Love, Virginal, Innocence and purity, I am worthy of you, You're heavenly

An obvious reference to the inhabitants of Yorkshire. Believe that if you will!

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back