Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root Windows Folder (Duplicated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycup

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
I have just made a fresh install of windows XP PRo to a back up partition on my Hard Drive and have discovered that I have two 'mirror-image' folders for Windows each are 2Gb.in size and are identical and they relate to each other exactly, for instance if you move or delete a file from one it also moves or deletes from the other. I cannot delete (a Folder) as it is 'protected by windows'. One folder is named 'WINDOWS' and the other 'Windows'. I would like to solve this problem as I now want to make a Drive Image to a DVD but need to get rid of the additional 2.0Gb. of space. Never had this one before!!.

Thanks, this is well worth keeping but not the answer to my problem. the two folders are inextricably linked and cannot be separated or deleted. I decided in the end to format the partition and start again and I have now re-installed Windows afresh and the problem has gone. It means starting all over again and this has meant many hours of work has been lost but it was the only way.
Thanks again for the help offered.

Excuse my 'ignorance'. Very informative and whilst now too late for this occasion i have saved all necessary references for future use should the need arise. I really have learnt something and I am truly grateful for your attention and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back