Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root Password 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genka

MIS
Jul 15, 2001
US
Hi, I was wondering does any one know of a way to reset a root password if for example some one changed it and forgot what it was. Is there a back door in?

with SCO , boot with EBD set, mount the hard drive, edit the /etc/passwd file to remove the encrypted password. Boot disk brings you up in single user without need for the password. This may work for others.
How about being more specific on your OS and version, you'll have a better shot at getting the help you need.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Are there any other root (UID=0 in /etc/passwd) users that you have the proper passwd for? They could reset root's password. If not, reboot the server and intrupt the boot, then boot into single user. Once in singel user, you will be automatically logged in as root. Reset the password then and do an init 3.

crowe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back