Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root Hints - internet domain name resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayesp

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
IE
hi, can anyone assist?
I'm testing changing external dns resolution from our parent company to using the internet root hint servers. I've created a dns server with no zones. This server is natted behind our external firewall's external address and udp53 is open. Just to ensure that natting is working correctly I've also got icmp / tcp 53 open and can ping and tracert to a root hint server - 198.41.0.4
I've tried it stand-alone server (w2008r2 and w2003r2). I've also tried creating a domain and using a domain name not registered on the web (w2003 domain).
When I try nslookup I get "dns request timed out" - any ideas?
Thanks in advance

hi brianinms,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for delay in responding. I tried pointing it at itself both 127.0.0.1 and it's proper IP address but no luck. I've also tried setting a forwarder to be it's gateway, no luck and then added the internal IP address of the 2 firewalls it's sits behind as additional forwarders but again it failed.
Thanks Paul

You're server should be pointing it's dns at itself and at your external parent. It has to have somewhere to go for name resolution if it's not in it's own cache. Take your clients, and only point them at your internal dns server. They don't need to go outside the building for name resolution. This will speed up there browsing. If your server doesn't have a site in cache it will go out and find it through name resolution. Once it has it, it will keep it in cache, and when a client needs to go to a site, it will only have to go to the local server for name resolution to get to that site. Hope this helps. Don't worry about 127.0.0.1, or the gateways, we're only talking name resolution. That's what dns is.

Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the response. the reason i'd gone down so many routes in trying to get it working is that I've never had an issue doing this previously. As it turns out, our ISP is forcing us to use their DNS servers, we cannot route to the route hints through their network.
Thanks.

Hi. I have a similar sitation. I have a primary/secondary DNS server and
I can't seem to get DNS info through my servers. I suspect, my provider
is blocking udp protocol 53 which is why I can't resolve anything.

I can use their dns server without any problems.

I don't think may ISPs like customers who put up their own DNS because they
want to keep their info private. I almost wonder if this is possibly another
way a provider can monitor requests customers make to the internet and they
don't want you to use your own to keep them from monitoring your traffic.
Just a possible thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back