Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root equivalent login 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhawani123

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2000
IN
Can anybody tell me how to create root equivalent login in solaris 2.7 system.

Thanks in Advance.

Ajay

The first question is why would you want to do this, there are other ways of allowing users run selected commands as root.
If you have some overriding need to do this create a user with a user ID of 0 and he will be equivalent to root. This is what gives the root user root privledges. Unix works on uid not username, but is kind enough to convert uid to username using the /etc/passwd file for our benefit.
Having been involved in unix admin for the best part of 20 years I have never found the need to set up a user with root privledges.

Richard
richard@brecon.co.uk

You should let root do its job. It has all the powers of sys, adm, daemon, bin, uucp, root, nuucp, etc... to do its' job well. Don't parallel root login for you shall have many problems down the road that is way more of a hassle then creating a root equivalent log on.

Hi Bhawani,

Instead of giving 0 uid, u can also create a user of sysadmin (14) group for creating user and using admintool.

Also using third party "sudo" utility, u can assign many root priveleges to a normal user. e.g. for shutting down a system, starting, backup etc. This utility is freely available on and on many other sites.

rbm

I'd recommend using 'sudo', it works great and is probably perfect for what you'll need. It has logging as well so you'll know what's being run, when and all that. It's a lot safer too.

Thanks to Everybody.But Can I able to edit /etc/shadow file
after instaaling third party software sudo.

Thanks Again.

Ajay

we have sudo running on linux, shadow file is just for passwords ... shouldn't affect each other ... seperate entities ...

shadow should still go on doing it's old job ... sudo should create it's own files ...

if they share files they can cause holes in the system security ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back