Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root directory full

Status
Not open for further replies.

parames

MIS
Jun 26, 2000
MY
Hi...
I'm having a big problem.Hope you'll can help me..

My root directory which is "/" is full... This directory is actually under different hard disk(vg00) and i just installed new hard disk (vg05).. What i wanted to do is, i want to add in space to root directory using new hard disk which is vg05... Can i do that?? If can, Please guide me on how to do that...

Please help,

Thanks a lot...

Regards,
Parames.S

Hi

I would look at the cause first, root directory shouldn't really grow very much. So if you don't know why it has filled up, take a look in /dev for a backup to a device that didn't exist.

Have you got any space left in the vg00 volume group. Check using Also have you checked using # vgdisplay -v vg00 | grep PE for free physical extents. You might be able to increase root LV without increaing the disks in the volume group.

As a final fix, if you cannot get space back from the filesystem and can't extend the LV from free space within the VG, then as you suggested you will have to add the disk to the vg00 VG.
You can do this with vgextend or via SAM, but because we are talking about the root LV, and extend of this will have to be done in single user mode.

Let us know if you need any further help
Clare

Hi parames ,
Root dir full , then
a.) cd /dev/rmt ; ls -l
Remarks : Check any device file having a large size
This could be the cause of /Root dir full

b.) Have you installed programs such as Netsacpe . If
so go to
cd /.netscape/cache ; ls -l
If there are files , this could be the cause of /Root dir full . Then we should configure Netscape to dump in the cahce somewhere else other than Root

c.) Check Core files at root . I presume you know this
cd / ; ls -l core ;

The Cause of filesystem full neeeds to be investigated . Last option, as Unixqueen mentioned will be extend the vg00 with an additional hard disk .

Rgds , omari

Thanks Queen and Omari,
Now, i have no choice..i have to add space from new harddisk(vg05) to vg00. I'm actually quite new to Unix.. So, i hope you can help me on how to do that...If possible, please give me full info on how to do that.. i've called my HP support center..and they said it is impossible to add disk space from new hard disk (vg05) to vg00 because it is root directory..Is it so??

Hope you'll can help me..
rhanks a lot..
Parames.S

Hello:

I think that perhaps there is a misunderstanding here. You can´t add space from vg05 to vg00 because it is not possible. Yo must first reduce the disk from vg05 and add it to vg00. If you have Online jfs you can do it online (if you haven´t installed it you must boot the system in single user mode). The problem here is that the root logical volume has to be contiguous and it cannot span across multiple disks. Probably there was another logical volume after the root logical volume(lvol 3 ) and it should be moved to another disk in vg00 (with pvmove) to free space in the disk in which lvol 3 resides. After that, you can extend the lvol3 without any problem. To know if you can make this run the command pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk(cXtYdZ) and see if there are physical extents free or occupied by another lvols(lvol4,...).

Best regards.

Hi Parames ,

Quick Question : Does the "New Hard Disk" created as vg05
have data ??

If you are definitely got no choice and waana extend your
Root file system , then you should be ready to

a.) remove the populated " New Hard Disk " in vg05
and grow the " New Hard Disk " in vg00 . This means
data contents in the "New Disk will be lost "

Before doing so , perform this commands to find what configuration of lvols was created in vg05 :

Commands:
lvdisplay /dev/vg05/lvol* | grep "LV Name"
vgdisplay /dev/vg05 | grep "VG Name"

Rgds , omari

Hi,

Please be carefull with this, the PE´s for root directory should be allocated in a contiguous way(and only in one dis). You shouldn´t simply add space to that lvol as if it was a data lvol. For expample if the las PE for / is 43 and after that the space is occupied by lvol8 you have to move lvo8 to other disk in vg00 and then use his space to extend root diretory. First add disk to vg00, second free space at the end of the actual root directory and only after seeing(with pvdisplay ) that you have free PE contiguous to the root directory you will be able to extend your root direcotry. If you have doubts about this post them here.

Best regards.

Hi Arathorn ,
Yes ..,the above method you mentioned
is what i have in mind . What we need from Parames , is to firstly confirm that vg05 has no important data , else he has to backup contents .

As you mentioned ,a pvdisplay command on his primary disk , and no choice but to choose next lvol ,(after lvol3) . This lvolX will be moved to 'New disk' freeing up space for lvol3 to grow. This is waht we will do ,but before proceeding , we need more input from Parames ,
such as device files for his New disk and his Root Disk .

Parames , your input will be required .

Hp-ux command ( Collecting Configurations ) :
a.) setboot
Remember primary_boot_path
b.) ioscan -H 'primary_boot_path' -fn
Remember the device_file /dev/dsk/cXtYd0
This is your primary_device_file
c.) vgdisplay -v /dev/vg05 " | grep "PV Name"
Remember the device file .
This is your New_device_file ( new hard disk )
d.) pvdisplay -v "primary_device_file" | grep "current" | awk '{print $3}' | uniq -c
( This list your lvol order )

Also Parames ..please let us know if you are really
pursuing with your Root disk extend.

Rgds, omari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back