Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rooky question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSBrady

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
US
Oy!

CR 10
SQL Server 2005

This is such a rooky question I'm almost ashamed to ask - almost.
When placing a data field on the report in Details CR auto generates the heading and links the 2 fields together such that when you delete the data field the heading field is deleted also. How/where does it do this?
Also is there a way to alter whatever formula it uses to control how heading fields are derived?

It is an annoyance at times. You can unhook the heading insertion from the detail insertion by going to file->options->layout->uncheck "Insert Detail Field Headings", but then you will have to manually type them into text boxes. Not sure what you mean by the last question--the headings are simply the field or formula name.

Even if you think it is a "rooky" question, it is preferable for you to provide a descriptive title to your thread, rather than an apology.

-LB

Right you are. Will do next time.
Thanks.
Once you have added said field to Details is there any way of un-linking the two? If I want to link a heading to a Group level field can I?

Not that I know of. You can always create a text box for group headers.

-LB

I know. Not a big deal. Just trying to be more efficient.
thanks LB

I found that if you first place the field in non-detail section (i.e. group footer), you won't get the header. Then drag the field into the detail section.

-lw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back