Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rommon - No network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

odot

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
US
Router goes to rommon mode. Change the config reg to 0x0. No files are listed under dirflash. So memory and IOS are corrupted. Network connectivity not available. If you don't have the memory card or IOS on your pc to use via xmodem, how do you recover the router?

Download the IOS from Cisco to the PC. That would be needed in any case to recover the router. If the router memory is "corrupted", maybe you also need new RAM?

So if you are at a remote location, no network/internet access. You do a show flash and there is no flash file. No ios on pc, your out of luck, correct? Even if you use xmodem you still cannot download via console because there is no connectivity, right?

If there is no IOS you pretty much have to connect to the console port to get the router back online.

That's what xmodem does: allows you to download an image via the console connection. It's terribly slow, but it does work.

Thanks for your information, but how can you download the ios when you don't have network connectivity.

I misunderstood your problem. If you have *no* network connectivity, then you have a problem. You can use a dialup ISP, call a consultant who can bring the file to you, or possibly order a CD from Cisco. I really don't know.

That's kind of like "how do I access a web site if I have no ISP?" You are posting here, so you must have some kind of Internet access, right?

What router are you using , some routers boot out of bootflash: . Do a dir bootflash: and see if it show's anything . If there is nothing in bootflash then you are SOL unless you get your hands on a new copy of the IOS . Also check to see if the router has a flash card , dir slot0: or dir disk0: to look for the IOS .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back