Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROLMphone comparability

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTDude

Technical User
Dec 4, 2011
US
I’m an Avaya guy. A few of you helped answer some questions about getting in to a HiPath 3500 (was curious about Siemens and almost bought one). I decided to go with a 3800. It’s on its way.

The 3800 is coming with a bunch of OpenStage phones. But. I also have a few Rolm 240’s laying around. They aren’t compatible with the 3800 are they? I’m assuming the 3800 is just too new?

Not sure which software version it’s running. Will find out when it arrives Wednesday.

Correct - Rolmphones were made by Rolm and the Hipaths & Hicoms by Siemens. The earlier 9006 Siemens PBXs though could have Rolmphones with the SLMR cards. There were limitations compared to the Rolm PBXs, such as an analog line key on a Rolmphone was a true line appearance, while on the 9006 is was really a DSS key. New 9006 customers coming from a Rolm PBX would attempt to make a call on an analog DSS key, and it would ring the analog phone.

Great. Thanks for the concise response. Appreciate it!

Looks like this is going to be an interesting system.

You're welcome. I was a Rolm guy first, then Siemens because Siemens acquired Rolm, then an Avaya guy. I worked on the older Definity and Prologic systems.

Good luck with the project. There's quite a few on here that are quite knowledgeable with the newer Siemen/Unify systems. I'm not one of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back