Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rollover News !! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glister

Technical User
Aug 25, 2002
US
ETA & StudyExam4Less.com Sign Exclusive Agreement. New Partnership Enhances Certifications For Professional
IT Technicians. Check out the press release from ETA.

Press Release

This is an excellent way to add certifications to your resume and score some killer study guides in the process.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CSS,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Does anyone believe this new cert will hold any credibility? I read the article and my take is if you have the needed Comptia certs you get the ETA cert just for having an extra 69 dollars. Could some other agency come along and take 69 dollars combine a server+ and security+ and call it whatever they please and issue a cert as well?
Am I missing something?

After checking ETA website and StudyExam4Less, looks like a great deal. I am considering CNST and bunch of practice tests as bonus. I also found CST, CNST provide college credits too. That is really nice which I will use it in near future. I like ETA re-certification policy as compare to CompTIA certification. How you can compare some one knowledge Aplus certified 5 years ago verses some one who is certified this year. There is so much change every year in computer industury. Dont get me wrong. I like CompTIA's certifications except they are expensive to start with.

WinZ said:
How you can compare some one knowledge Aplus certified 5 years ago verses some one who is certified this year

Unless I missed something in the press release, the ETA-I certifications have the same problem.

leftout said:
Could some other agency come along and take 69 dollars combine a server+ and security+ and call it whatever they please and issue a cert as well?

They could. This seems like no more than a paper cert to me.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

This is mostly about reciprocation. It is about joining an organization that supports it's members rather than just take your money. It is about joining an organization that is growing and thriving.

CompTIA couldn't care less about you after they get your money. ETA requires recertification either thru re-exam or thru continueing education. ETA has a wider offering of certification exams. ETA is focused on the technician rather than the vendors who are corporate members.

I believe in the future you will see CompTIAs continued decline and ETAs continued growth. ETA has active student chapters at numerous votech schools and strong industry acceptance. I think it is about broadening horizons instead of paying blind allegiance to an organization that is more concerned with lobbying Washington on behalf of it's corporate spomsors. I suppose time will tell.

glister,

I get what you're saying, and I can understand that you're not thrilled with CompTIA and their activities, but...

This seems like no more than a sales pitch to send money to an organization that will issue a certification without testing the individual that they certify.

Since there are no skills that would be tested by ETA in exchange for the cert, would it not be a paper cert?

Wishdiak

If you will look over the ETA CST exam competencies, I think you'll find they pretty well duplicate the A+ objectives. After 4 years the A+ is an out of date entry level certification where as the CST is recertified by virtue of continueing education credit.

What's the difference between ETA recognizing the A+ and Network+ or Microsoft recognizing the Security+, or A+, or Network+, or Server+? Does that make your MCSA Security designation a paper cert?

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but your post seems more like advertising than general information.

glister said:
What's the difference between ETA recognizing the A+ and Network+ or Microsoft recognizing the Security+, or A+, or Network+, or Server+?

The difference being that Microsoft considers CompTIA exams equal to an elective credit for a multi-exam certification. Microsoft does not offer any certs (AFAIK) that one can obtain simply by passing a CompTIA exam or two and paying a set amount of money. Nor am I aware of any company that will "rollover" a Microsoft exam to something else for an additional fee.

Did I read that wrong that A+, Network+ and $69US = CNST without any additional exams?

I'm not against adding a few more certs to my resume, but I want them to mean something inherently valuable. I wouldn't want to be accused of buying a cert to add to my resume that requires nothing more than a one-time payment and doesn't test any measurable skills.

Wishdiak

You bet. I am a card carrying member of the ETA (Lifetime member, actually). I support them at every turn. I spread the word every chance I get. I sit on several committees. I recently attended the national convention in Las Vegas. I also know the folks at StudyExam4Less. Besides being the largest vendor of discount vouchers for CompTIA, they are a stand-up group of people.

Is this a marketing ploy? You bet. ETA is attempting to lure CompTIA certification holders over from the dark side. But it's no gimmick. ETA supports it's members. CompTIA sends you a certificate and that's it.

You might want to look over the ETA Methodologies and their compliance to ISO Standards. The National Skills Standards Board, DANTES, and Skills USA among others recognize the ETA CET program. Were you aware that the ETA also administers the FCC General Radio Operators Licenseing (GROL)program?

I just happen to feel that this is an organization that offers more to the individual technician than CompTIA. but if it's not for you, I understand.

also of note...

Network Professional Association (NPA) will now recognize ETA’s CNST (Certified Network Systems Technician) certification as a core exam for NPA’s Certified Network Professional (CNP) status. NPA has been an advocate for the international network computing professional since 1991.

Certified Network Professional Program

Network Professional Association

I read the press release, read what studyexam4less had, read T-Cat's little diddy on it. While I don't necessarily disagree with T-Cat's perspective on some of the questions CompTia would ask - T-Cat's books were not always up to an acceptable level for the amount you pay for them either.

on T-Cat's little diddy is written:

Code:
Question: What is career value of ETA Certifications?
Answer:ETA certified technicians are professionally recognized as having the necessary knowledge and technical skills to meet international de facto electronics industry standards. Having computer specialty certification after your name means that you are a skilled artisan.

Why then have I never heard of them before reading this post? When I barely got into the IT field, I heard of CompTia and Microsoft and Cisco certs. 5 years later i'm just now finding out about them?

I'm still left with the question - what would be the purpose, CompTia is a recognizable certification - which could I expect would distinguish me from the next guy - a CompTia cert or this ETA cert that I hadn't even heard of. What benefit would it give me. Lets all be honest, who cares if it reaches 100K people if you do not get something that benefits you in return.

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

ETA, International offers more than 30 different Certifications, Endorsements and Licenses in seven different categories.

Certifications, Endorsements and Licenses are offered for 1) Fiber Optics, 2) Customer Service, 3) Computers, 4) Satellite, 5) Journeyman/CET, 6) Audio Visual, 7) FCC.

You can receive reimbursement for licensing and certification tests you take on or after March 1, 2001. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill. ETA certs are. CompTIAs are also.

In November all CompTIA exams will cost $237.US
the A+ will become one exam. It will be the basic cert and a prerequisite for all others which will become "specialty" exams. ETA exams cost $75.

Panasonic, Mitsubishi, LG Electronics, Sharp, Thomson/Prometric, & Phillips provided FREE training and tech support workshops at the recent ETA convention. Ever been to a CompTIA convention? Motorola, Hitachi endorse ETA certification.

There is other life on the planet besides IT.
I get better value and support ETA. but then again I get involved with the ETA. John Venator (President of CompTIA) is about to retire to Mexico. I think you will soon see a downward spiral.

ETA may not be for everyone but it is a vehicle for growth for the aspiring technician.

Interesting,

But vehicle for growth where?

The firms you mentioned are for the most part - irrelevant in the PC or networking field. Great if I was interested in Audio/Visual etc, but I'm not. There is no microsoft listed, no Novell, no Cisco, no Netopia, etc.

I never bothered to look for a CompTIA convention, what would I need it for. I don't get a certification to go for neat conventions - I get it to further my knowledge and increase my ability to either retain or obtain a job in my chosen field.

As it stands, if you were an employer hiring a tech, with little knowledge of the IT field (pretty common), would you go for a cert that chances are you never heard of - or would you go with one that chances are you have heard of.

It does look like a paper cert. Some of the people I have worked for - who not knowing what this cert was - would have either dismissed it, or researched, and promptly saw that they'll take CompTIA's certs - call it their own and you get it. (after paying the fees).

Sorry, but their own literature has not shown me one reason at all to trust that it has any value. They've been in business since 78 - No mention on when they started providing IT Certs, and where there are hundreds of thousands of CompTia A+ Techs, yet this place is setting a goal to hit 100K members - and you don't even have to do anything except pay a fee.

Money's tight for me like many. When you count on your certs to give you the boost you need to get the job. I'd prefer to go with the known route rather than hope.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

I should finish up my thought.

I'm not against a new or different Cert power coming onto the market. It's what makes everything exciting. CompTIA had to start out sometime, and people probably thought it'd fail.

I hope they do make a dent - and gain enough credibility that they are a well known entity as CompTia is. Good Certs at a fraction of the cost is great.

But right here right now, I'll go with the known, the trusted the established. Like so many before me, i'll follow the money to make my money.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

I had an extra $69.00 and applied for a rollover cert from ETA. I didn't give it much credibility and probably still don't. I do like the idea that it will require a renewal and has an expiration date. I hope they will require testing at that time. I did submit it to my employer as part of my continuing education. I did get rewarded with a raise large enough to pay for the cert in my first week of new pay. I'm happy about the money but I feel like I've cheated. I guess my salvation will be if I can pass the security+ exam I failed twice by a most narrow margin. I continue to study once in a while but I'm finding I'm getting more pratical experience at work which I hope will help me become better prepared for the exam.

A+ Net+ Server+

good luck with the Security+ !

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+

leftout,

Not to disparage the Security+ exam or CompTIA, but in my experience the exam was less about practical experience and more about cramming definitions.

I found that a few nights spent with good practice material were enough to almost ace the exam. Your milage may vary.

Wishdiak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back