Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rolling out XP using ZEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2004
US
Hi! New here...

I work for a company that is planning to roll out XP using ZEN. I came across some documentation that has to do with PXE and VLAN's. Do I need to do the following process for EVERY workstation we are planning on upgrading??

Configuring Cisco Equipment
Go to Global Configuration mode.

Type ip forward-protocol udp 67, then press Enter.

Type ip forward-protocol udp 68, then press Enter.

Go to the LAN interface that serves the PXE workstation.

Type ip helper-address 10.1.1.2, then press Enter.

Type ip helper-address 196.10.229.2, then press Enter.

Save the configuration.

Thanks for any help!

I'm not sure why you would need to reconfigure your router every time you push a workstation image out. Those settings are on your router to allow certain things to go through, like DHCP requests, etc.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

This is the part that got me:

Go to the LAN interface that serves the PXE workstation

So each fa port on the switch needs to have the ip helper? Or do they mean the port on the router that serves the switch that the workstations are connected to?? I'm just confused if I need to do this at all.

Thanks! = )

I'm not a router guy, but I have to assume it's a global setting on the router. I don't think it something you do on the switch unless you have VLANs configured or some other complex setup. Maybe someone else that knows routers/switches better could give you a better answer.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I use HP kit, not Cisco, but I've found they're almost identical in operation (the same job has to be done regardless of who's name is on the box).

My HP 5308 routing switches use a helper IP to relay DHCP from one VLAN to another. I believe PXE uses the same transport as DHCP (plain old ethernet broadcasts).

Basically, in my rigging, I have a DHCP server on VLAN1. Now I want to serve DHCP to VLAN2, but I don't want to set up another DHCP server on VLAN2. So I set my router to relay DHCP from VLAN1 to VLAN2. In the configuration of VLAN2 I add an IP helper address, which is the IP address of the DHCP server on VLAN1. Voila, the router now forwards DHCP request from VLAN2 to the server on VLAN1, and back. For VLAN3, I put the same helper IP in it's config.

I'm not very good at explaining this stuff, you might try posting you question to the Cisco forum here at Tek-Tips.

So to answer your question [dazed], I think you should only need to add IP helper addresses once per subnet (VLANs are merely different subnets sharing the same physical cabling).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back