Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roll-up button

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalpencil

Programmer
Apr 8, 2001
GB
Hi,

Quick question I hope..

Does anyone know how to create rollover effects such as those exhibited in the nav at the following:

I've seen this effect or similar all over the place, bigspaceship for one..
and have tried a few different things but none are as smooth and reliable as those exhibited at struckcreative.

All ideas are more than welcome,

Thanks.

there are many ways to do rollover effects in flash

most people have a movie clip with two animations each with labels, that you gotoAndPlay when u rollover/rollout of the clip. This wont be really smooth though, because there is always the danger of the user rolling out or over before the animation has completed.

you need to do an onenterframe to check if a variable is true or false, and change the variable on rollover or on rollout. if its rolled over, advance the playhead or vice versa

eg
var rolled_over:Boolean;
my_mc.onEnterFrame = function ():Void {

if(rolled_over == true) {
nextFrame();
} else {
prevFrame():
}

}

my_btn.onRollOver = function():Void {
rolled_over = true;
}
my_btn.onRollOut = function():Void {
rolled_over = false;
}

Thanks, I'm fairly familiar with all this.
What I was really after was the 3d effect.. i've recreated it by tweening individual characters up on the y, whilst reducing scale out of a wave-shaped mask and this works fairly well but is a hell of a lot of work for a simple rollover effect.
I figured there must be an easier way around this that doesn't involve breaking the characters into individual movieclips, as there will be about 25 longish strings in the nav.
I guess I can draw and set the mask in AS and tween the mcs with fuse but again it seems fairly arduos when I have to break the strings up first.

Is there anyway to break a string into individual characters and convert to movieclip in AS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back