Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rolap Dimension based on a view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gauss

Programmer
May 1, 2002
DE
Hi!

I have a ROLAP cube that contains a real-time-update-dimension with a view as datasource(SQL 2000).
But this dimension fails to refresh automatically when i change its members by altering the view.
Is this a normal behaviour?

Thanks in advance
Gauss

Are you reprocessing or updating the dimension or data partitions? incremental updates will get you whatyour after.

Just curious as to why you chose rolap...

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Hi MDXer!

When i use a table (instead of a view) as dimension table for a rolap (real-time-update) dimension, i don't need to reprocess or update. When there occures a change in this dimension table, the dimension updates automatically and the change can be viewed at once by browsing the cube.
This doesn't work when the dimension table is a view,
and in deed i have to reprocess/update it manually.
Why?

Gauss

A quick look in SQL BOL for the term "Real-Time Cubes" does produce some info I am not sure what criteria your views meet but it appears that the criteria for realtime objects bieng built off of views is pretty strict.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Thx for your replies, MDXer!

BOL:
"While ROLAP dimensions can easily support real-time updates, ROLAP partitions must meet certain qualifications...".

My cube's real-time-updating works well until I add a dimension based on a view. I think the strict criteria in BOL you mentioned only refers to ROLAP partitions and the necessity of using indexed views (or zero aggregations as I use).

Gauss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back