Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rogue ip address and stp traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellsanto

MIS
Jul 17, 2007
US
I have a couple of issues that may or may not be related, so I am posting them together.

1. Using wireshark, I have found that i have several pcs that attempt to locate an IP address that is within my subnet, but not one of my systems. All of my systems are assigned static IPs. Occasionally when I run command arp -a on my PDC, the IP address shows on my list of connected clients. However it is listed as not having a MAC address and the IP type is "invalid" as opposed to "dynamic" like the others.

2. I have noticed an lot (a request every two seconds) of STP traffic across my network. I realize this may be nothing to be concerned about, but the source is a MAC address that I cannot locate on my network. Strange. It is not slowing the network or effecting it negatively, but if anyone can give me some insight into why this has happened, that would be great.

I have a small Server 2000 network with mostly WIN 2000 clients and a few lucky XP users.

ellsanto
-Gillan lives, have you met him?

Sorry, wrong forum...moved to windows server 2000.

ellsanto
-Gillan lives, have you met him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back