Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rogers Rocket Internet stick (can it be shared?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy3290

Technical User
Apr 13, 2009
Hi, Hoping someone can help. I've got 2 computers that I'd like to share the internet connection with. The newly purchased Rogers "Rocket ZTE" Mobile Internet stick came with a split USB cable. Because we reside in a rural area, this is the only option for a reasonable hi-speed internet option. I went back to purchase another unit, but was convinced by the store clerk, I could share the connection between the two computers. 1 running Vista, the other XP. Already connected via a wired D-Link hub, for file sharing. I attempted to create a second network connection and failed, lost my current connection and had to restore both computers to an earlier date to get my computers to look at each other again. Any assistance in this would be appreciated. Can it be done? Or shall I have my wallet open for the next purchase???? Thank you, Lucy.

if you find a solution, please let know, there muste be a way to do this !
i have been working for hours on that !!!

This link shows that you can apparently hook the Rocket Stick up to a wireless router to give you a local network with 3.5G access to the Internet:

But it may also be as simple as turning on Internet Connection Sharing on the machine that has the stick plugged in and then putting your wireless (802.11a/b/g/n) NIC in "Ad hoc" mode so that others may use you as a router.

The split USB cable is generally provided to support devices that draw more than 500 mA peak current (the maximum current that the USB standard supports). For the few computers that honor the standard current limit, you can plug into 2 ports and draw up to 1000 mA of current. You get a similar cable with many portable USB hard disks and DVD burners.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back