Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rockwell pci modem help me plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxxybabe101

Technical User
May 24, 2005
CA
I have a compaq presario windows 98 with a rockwell hcf 56k data fax pci modem. I have dial up internet and when ever I am not online and my phone rings my computer restarts. how do I fix it so it stops restarting when the phone rings???? some one plz help me

Look in your BIOS. There will hopefully be a modem option to "Wake up on ring". Set this to disable.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

plz bare with me... your help would be great if I knew how to look at my BIOS. Where do I find my BIOS?

When the computer starts up, hit the F10 key (usual way to enter a Compaq BIOS). Be VERY careful what you mess with in here because you can disable your computer completely if you experiment changing settings.

Lee

Yes, unless you are absolutely certain that you have found the correction setting to disable, which, as stated already is "wake on ring" or "wake up on ring" you are probably better off leaving it alone. But if you do find the correct setting you must not only set it to disable but when you exit you have to "save" your changes, which you will find as you exit the bios.
Or, if you have a friend who has more knowledge of bios then you might want to ask for their help as they can also show you quite a few other settings that might be handy for your computer!
Good luck.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

when I hit the f10 key on startup it took me to computer set up but I didn't see anything that said bios of modem options

Computer setup is another word for bios.
You have to go inside that to find the option for the modem that says "wake on ring" and disable it turn it off.
And then save when you exit. There is a place to save, a button to click on to save and exit.

You are very welcome. Looks like you now know how to get inside your bios and you know how to look around for settings and make changes.
Just remember you have to be very very careful inside the bios. If you arent sure best to leave a setting where it is and get help as you can cause your computer to not start at all if you make the wrong mistake in there!

You should try to get a manual on your computer. If you do something wrong (in BIOS), and the computer won't boot, you will have to reset the BIOS jumper. Don't worry about it (the jumper) if everything works OK.

The numbers you need to get the correct manual and other info are printed on the back or top of the compaq computer, so its pretty easy. You will be asked for the number.
A better idea, go to HP.com, register in their forum section,its free, and the people there will help you with the correct page for your manual and Compaq has other useful info as well for each computer. The people in the forums are very helpful and they know their Compaq machines better than anyone!
That way you have 2 places to go to for help and info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back