Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell Modem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slippers

Technical User
Jan 3, 2001
US
I have a Rockwell HCF 56K Fax/Data PCI Modem installed in my computer can U tell if it is voice capable for use on internet phone systems

Look in device manager. Seeif you've got "wave device for voice modem" anywhere. If you do, it's voice.
You can also look on the back of the modem, if it's got plugs for speaker/mic, then it's voice.
BTW, Rockwell does not make modems, they make chips.
Lots more on my modem pages (link below in sig). Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Where can one go to get updated drivers for the Rockwell HCF 56K Fax/Data PCI Modem for Win Me?

When and why should I update the drive my Rockwell HCF 56K
Fax/Data PCI Modem

When? When your ISP requires a new protocall.
Why? Same answer.
If your connection is relatively fast and stable, don't upgrade.
If it works, don't fix it.
If you have connection or stability problems, post the specific problem, and then you'll get help determining if you NEED an upgrade or if something else is recommended. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

I also have a Rockwell HCF 56k data fax pci modem. I'm having disconnection problems. It disconnects every 5 to 10 mins. I talked to my ISP and they had me lower my buffers and disable 56k and they had me put in a new "line". They also said that maybe I need to update my modem drivers. I have a 2.1.2.134 version. Can you think of anything else I can do to stop my disconnections besides updating drivers b/c my connection speed is fine and I connect fine. I just can't stay connected. I'm also afraid of downlaoding the wrong drivers. I have looked but get so confused as to which one I need. I have been to your site and still can't pick out the right one.

Thanks
Greth

Get 2.1.2.135b and install it.
Then, in the extra settings box of Advanced modem properties in device mangler, put: S10=50S11=50 Cheers,
Jim
staff
iamcan.gif

Thank you soooooo much Mr Modem Man! I finally have the answer I have been looking for for days. I will do as you say and hope for the best.

Thanks again.

Greth

Hi modem man, it's me again. I downloaded the 2.1.2.135b and then when it was done I unzipped the files. Nothing else happened after that so I switched the extra settings to what you said. I disconnected and re-connected at a faster speed, but when I did a diagnostic, under ATI 3 it said I still have a 2.1.2.134. Should that change to the .135? Just curious. I wanted to make sure I did all I was supposed to do. Should I have done something after unzipping files? It didn't prompt for anything. Any info on if I did it right?? You are super for helping me!

Thanks
Greth

You need to install the driver.
If you've unzipped it, go to device manager, modems, properties, driver tab, update driver. Browse to where you unzipped the 2.1.2.135b driver.
Restart, and try again.
Full instructions are on my modems page as well. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Well, I must have my idiot hat on today b/c for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I downloaded the 212135.exe to my hard drive(or c drive). Then I went and followed your instrustions on installing the new driver but under the c: that I click on I can't find the file I downloaded. I didn't name it anything. I just downloaded the 212135 file. I know I'm doing something obviously stupid and I have unzipped the 212135 file. I'll go read some books Modem Man b/c I don't expect you to help me with such a silly problem that you could probably do in your sleep. I'll check back when I figure it out. Sorry for being so dumb today but thanks for listening.

Your fellow Canuck...Greth

WEll...when you "run" the .exe, it pops up with an "Unzip to folder?" and you can type in ANY folder name. It defaults to c:\windows\temp (which is fine).
Go into device mangler to update driver, and browse to c:\windows\temp
Voila! Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Well I'll be darned. I clicked here and clicked there and voila, I installed my new modem!! Yippeee. I couldn't have done it without your generous advice modem man. I truly truly appreciate it. Now, I am timing how long before I disconnect, if I disconnect, which I hope I don't. Cause if I do I will be back!! Seriously, if this doesn't work then my ISP needs to figure out what's wrong b/c I've done everything they've said.

So, keep those fingers crossed...I'm at 4 mins and counting. It usually happens around 10 mins. Thanks again and I'll pop in and let you know how it's working.

Have a super day! You are my hero!!

Greth

So much for that lasting. I stayed connected a whole 14mins and then it booted me off. I did a diagnostics on my new modem and it says it is the 2.1.2.135 version. I did put in the new line under extra settings like you said so I have no idea what I should do now. I'm all depressed again. This is bad.

Any other ideas before I call my ISP and tell them off???

Greth

Time to try another download.
This time, get driver 2.1.2.166.xxx and install it as before.
It MAY help, it may not, but it's worth a try.
If it doesn't help, reinstall driver 2.1.2.135b (It's the most stable of ALL HCF drivers, even though it's a little old).
If it's no better, try putting: +MS=K56,0 in the extra settings box (take the other out).
If that helps, but you still disconnect, try this: +MS=K56,0,,,,56000;S10=50S11=50
I've got more suggestions, but let's start with this. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Ok, I will try that. I'm open to anything at this point. I will try this new download after dinner. What time to sign off for the night...or do you? Well, if I need help I'll post here and if I don't here back from you I'll catch up to you tomorrow. Thanks a lot, I really really appreciate everything you're doing for me.

Have a good evening...talk to you later.

Greth

HELP ME!! I have big trouble on my hands modem man. When I updated drivers using the 166, I tried connecting and it only gives me a blue screen!! I tried switching back to the .135 and it gives me a 630 error. I even tried updating the drivers on the .135 and it seemed like it was doing something but I still got the error. Now I'm at my nana's house posting this b/c I can't get back online. I really need your help b/c if I can't get back online my roomate will kil me b/c it's her puter. I just want to get back to the .135, the one that worked. When I downloaded the new drivers again it just gave me a Rockwell Hcf speakerphone modem #2. PLEASE HELP ME. I'll be waiting for your response...PLease Hurry!!!

Greth

Back to the beginning.
Boot to safe mode, remove all modems and com ports from device manager.
Go to Add/Remove programs in control panel, and uninstall dial-up-networking.
Restart, install driver 2.1.2.135b
Go to Start > Run > and type in: inetwiz
Reinstall DUN that way, making a new connection to your ISP.
Done. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

hi! i have a rockwell 56k data fax pci modem, and i want to upgrade to windows 2000 but it says i need to upgrade the driver. I've been looking around but cant seem to find the driver i need. Do you thing you could tell me a good place to go and get drivers or help me out here. thank you. bye

I AM CANADIAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back