Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROCKWELL MODEM RE-INSTALL NIGHTMARE - PLZE HELP JIM :o(

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasingamy

Programmer
May 15, 2001
NL
Hi,

A few weeks back the Rockwell HCF 56K Fax/Data PCI Modem & windows would freeze when i attempted to dial or select 'More Info' in Control Panel/Modems.

I removed the modem and reinstalled it and repeated the same process for a while until some time later when everything came right and i didnt know why!

A few days ago the same 'freeze' occurred - only this time my procedure of removing/installing hasn't worked. Whereas it was 'freezing' when I attempted to communicate to the modem - having removed it from the PCI slot and re-inserted it (having tried it in another slot) windows no longer detects this new hardware on restarting.

There are no conflicts that I can see immediately.

I've tried the following tips i've picked up from Jim in your excellent forum here - but to no avail. I have no COM2 in my BIOS to disable. Windows will detect these 2 ports on restarting, but will not set up the com3 port for the internal modem.

I do notice an 'unknown device' when windows is detecting new hardware

Forcing an install of the modem to one of the other com ports with the new driver just gives me the usual 'Modem is not turned on/working properly' message & 'cannot read port registry' message in 'modems'/'more info'.

I've carefully cleaned the gold connector on the modem ... in short there are no jumpers to move ... anybody ... is this modem dead? PLEASE HELP ANYONE :eek:)!!

THANK U

Julian

These are the steps I've attempted so far:

Boot to safe mode.
Remove the modem(s) and all COM ports in device manager.
Restart, go into BIOS setup.
Disable com2.
Restart, reinstall

Remove the stuff in device manager in safe mode again.
Restart, go into BIOS setup.
Set "PnP OS Installed" to NO.
Set "Reset configuration data" to YES (enable).
DISable com 2.
Restart, and hopefully reinstall.
If it still doesn't work, go to Device manager, System devices, PCI bus, properties, IRQ steering, and DISable it.
Restart, and see what happens

i wasn't able to restore a successful registry backup from 2 days before the problem hit me 'restore failed'.
I have downloaded driver 2.1.2.135b and have used this when I detect the modem myself for installation

This is like reading a soap opera with other folks playing my part. I, too, am suffering the Rockwell woes. Recently (after a thunderstorm), it would say "no dial tone" and would just hang the phone line until I unplug the jack. Reinstalled several times (will try the full method listed by Jim next) and when I run the diagnostics, 1st I got "no dial tone" but the "loopback check" went ok. Then it changed running the test "dial tone ok" but the "loopback" failed. So weird. It's only two month old and am bringing it back to CompUSA to see if there is any guarantee on it.

Jim: What modem should we buy? You mentioned "Diamond has the Supra Express" is a reliable one?? Should it be internal or external? Great column.

The Diamond Supra Express ISA internal is going for $19 right now direct at Great modem if you have an ISA slot.
If in doubt, get the external, NOT USB.
Arguably the best modem ever built. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I have a rockwell v.34 voice speakerphone and want to use it in win2000 professional .
I want a driver for it.
can you help me and send a driver for me:
saeedbakhshi@yahoo.com

I have a rockwell v.34 voice speakerphone pnp 33600 and want to use it in win2000 professional .
I want a driver for it.
can you help me and send a driver for me?
saeedbakhshi@yahoo.com

Comtech - You are a genius. I found this site from google, and it covered all the problems I've encountered, and resolved them all.

A great big thankyou!!

hi,,, jim..

i just bought a Rockwell Pci serial controller
and i have tried all the drivers on your webpage but it seems doesn't work at all..
My computer runs P133. I have tried all the possibility,
what wrong's with the problem..
please answer me soon...

thanks

That modem will NEVER work on a P133. If you read the box (instruction manual) carefully, you'll see that it REQUIRES a P166 (or higher) with MMX to work.
Take it back, tell the salesman that he's an idiot for selling you the wrong modem, and get a HARD ISA slot modem.
PCI modems (most of them) are winmodems and will not work for you.
Your best bet is to get an external serial modem. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back