Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell Modem installation problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottJackson

Technical User
Oct 19, 2004
GB
I'm having a problem with an installation. I can't get my computer to detect my modem. When I go to system in the control panel and check the properties of the modem, a window pops up and says 'Error, Cannot read port registry'. Is this the cause of my problem? Maybe a problem with the modem? I have an old LT Win modem as back up and it works fine for the internet, but won't work with winfax. The Rockwell modem is an RLDL56DPF (M1-5614PM3).

I would very much appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Scott Jackson

Thanks for giving it a shot, but that did not work. I'm thinking I may have damaged the modem in some way.

Any ideas on making a Lucent WinModem work with Winfax 4.0?

Thanks again.

A couple more steps to follow as a "last shot".
Remove the stuff in device manager in safe mode again.
Restart, go into BIOS setup.
Set "PnP OS Installed" to NO.
Set "Reset configuration data" to YES (enable).
DISable com 2.
Restart, and hopefully reinstall.
If it still doesn't work, go to Device manager, System devices, PCI bus, properties, IRQ steering, and DISable it.
Restart, and see what happens. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

No, still doesn't work. I still get a curious error message when I click on properties in the device manager for modem. It's slightly different than I stated before:
"Error: Cannot read port name for registry"

I don't know what the problem is, unless the modem is no longer working.

When I re-install the other modem, Windows detects it immediately and installs the drivers.

My problem with the WinModem is, when I try to receive a fax on winfax, it seems the modem hangs up the line then picks it up again. Thus, hanging up on the caller while trying to answer.

Thanks again for all your help.
Scott Jackson

The modem is trying to use a port. It's probably shared with another device, thus the error.
If there's any jumpers on the modem, it's time to move them around.
In Winfax, if you have the modem set to answer, make sure it answers after 4 or 5 rings. Check the "fax class" on the modem, it may be different than winfax thinks.
I use either FaxTalk Communicator or Bitware for my faxing. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Jim's Modems:

hi you doing comtech i need a little help man
i have a "Rockwell HCF 56k Data Fax PCI Modem"
and it is not getting a dail tone i downloaded this driver
from and i downloaded a driver
and when i installing the modem just before its done it says

The following error occurred: 'Disk read fault' (error #1e).

Setup could not finish copying a file.

Source file: 'A:\WIN95AC.VXD'
Destination file: 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WIN95AC.002=Win95AC.vxd'

can you help me man i would really apreciate it
i can tell everything you need to know about the modem or anything else that will get my modem to work, and by the way man im using a 28k modem right now. =)

I was having the same problem with a friends "Campaq Presario 5150". After waiting two weeks for them to send installation disks, and trying to extract the files needed. I was also getting the error message "Can not read port name from registry". I also noticed the identifier(under modems/more info) PCI\CPOB114, in the setup info it stated PCI MODEM=PCI\CPQBOBC. this MUST match in the Child Info.(I did not know what that all ment but I did know that the I.D.was not the same.) After reading the section above about looking for jumpers on the modem to change the IRQ, I pulled out the modem only to find out it did not have any! What I did remember was that by installing the modem in a differant slot it may change the IRQ. After rebooting WIN 98 found the modem. Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem#2 I installed drivers, checked the modem properties\more info and it is now working just fine, thank-you for the help. If any-one needs more info on this file I would be happy to up load it. It is VER:4.10 Rev.A Date 01-07-1999.
Thank-You
Ken

Just wanted to leave my E-Mail address in case somebody needs the set-up info Burychuck@hotmail.com
Ken

hey comtech thank you man butit still didnt work i download the driver from which was a Rockwell HCF 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem
but when i tryed to connect with it i got no dail tone and it said 630 error
and it shows a yellow exclamtion point on a other device which says pci serial controller.

thnx for your help

by the way when i said that pci serial controller thats in device manager
and the computer i have is an 1998 Compaq Presario 5050. Man compaq have some sorry owll computers. and my apology for cursing on the site didnt mean that wasnt getting smart by the way was just saying.

The drivers on my page may NOT work with Comcrap, thus get Softpaq 8897, or buy a new modem.
The driver 2.1.2.135b from my modems page, INCLUDES the emulator (PCI serial device controller) driver, so update the driver in control panel (the one with the yellow ! ) and point it to wherever you extracted the driver you downloaded.
Once you've done that, you must specify in DUN to use the new driver, because it will rename your modem, otherwise 630 error. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Jim's Modems:

Hehe
Yeah i know compaqs are piece of craps
but i searched for what you told me to get and i found it in and it says sp8897.exe and hopefully this installation will work. Its over 4mbs
but thank you again for your help.
=)

well i installed it and it came with the emulation just like you said and i thank you again man. and ill tell my friends about this site.
im getting about 4.6 kb/s or maybe 5
i guess thats good its gonna take me 2hours and a half to dl a 48.91mb

snd by the way is there anyway where i can get my modem to go to its maximum performance any site or something LOL. but besides that man.

Thanks and
Cheers ;-)

my driver for the modem is lost i doint now where i can find on the web another driver?? Can you help me...?? al ready thanks. anto barnjak

I would love to start at your modems page (I need driver for Rockwell HCF 56K SpeakerPhone PCI modem) but cannot get Http:/members.cnx.net to come up.

Is this my proxy server banning access? obviously I am using the net at work as I cannot get access at home until I get the driver?

Or do I have to sign up to something?

Lesley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back