Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell 56k - "No dial tone detected" but I know there is one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi there

I have stumbled across your forum and it looks like I have found the place that maybe my salvation.

Have just purchased a repossessed computer which has a Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem installed internally in it. I presumed that I would have to just plug in the phone and away I would go, because the previous user has had dial up accounts etc previously. However, it may be that he has deleted some modem files from wherever prior to the computer being taken away.

When I set up a dial-up account and try to connect, the message Error 680 somes up with "No dial tone detected". The thing is, I can hear the dial tone through the speakers of the computer as it tries to connect, but it won't dial.

I have been through all of the Windows help features to try and correct it and I have then deleted the drivers via control panel, then rebooted. Windows detected the new hardware and installed the new (?) drivers, but the same error keeps coming up.

Any suggestions and instructions would help.

Many thanks in advance
Rob McGuire

First, you need to get a new driver installed correctly.
Go get driver version 2.1.2.135b (it's the most stable, and works with all HCF modems) from my modems page. Extract it to a folder on your HD.
Next, boot to safe mode, remove the modem, and all com ports in device manager.
Restart, and if prompted, install from the driver you downloaded.
If you don't get prompted, just let it run through it's install, then go to device manager, and anything with a yellow ! on it, highlight, Properties, driver tab, update driver, have disk, and browse to wherever you extracted the driver.
It may take 3 restarts to install, one for the com ports, second for the PCI serial port enumerator (driver for that is included with 2.1.2.135b) and the modem itself. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks for the tips Jim, but still no luck. I have uninstalled all the modem drivers including hte enumeration and then rebooted following your steps.

The modem initially would not even sound the dial tone but after redoing it I got back to where I was before which is that there is a dial tone but no dialling.

Any other hints? Or shall I take the hammer to it...

Thanx - Rob

Hammer time.
Check device manager for conflicts.
Check for driver version (make sure you got the enumerator and modem correctly installed).
If it still doesn't find dialtone, try disabling it in DUN properties (Wait for dialtone: untick).
If that fails, trash it. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Try substituting X0 or X3 into the initialization string. The NO DIALTONE error message is usually not in these Result code lists, therefore the modem does not report a result code for the dialtone. Most factory default settings select X4 as the Result code set, and the X4 list does usually include the NO DIALTONE error.

I had the same problem after upgrading to ME .After changing the setting in modem properties to not to detect dial tone b4 dialling (unticked detect dial tone before dialling) , it then dialled + connected but would not stay connected. Then I set it to required to connect in advanced connection settings and it works fine

You may require the patch that Gateway set up for problems with the Rockwell HCF modem.

Go to
and download the Whitehouse modem "country.exe" patch. (I assure you that, despite its name, it is the correct patch). It doesn't matter where you download it to -- it will extract itself to the appropriate directory. Once downloaded, right click and choose Install. Then reboot the system. Hope this helps.

I should add that this may sound like a very odd fix -- it actually changes a configuration problem surrounding country codes -- but it worked for me (on the advice of Gateway tech.support).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back