Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

robocopy - is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssphoenix

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2001
US
I need to move close to 16Gigs from one drive to another because of space limitation. I am planning to use robocopy but not sure if it is safe and all files/forder permissions will stay the same.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have always used "drive image pro" it copys everthing even settings. I have never used robocopy.

Where can I get drive image pro?

Thanks

You can get from If thats not right its made by powerquest. You should be able to find a trial version. If you have Kazza you can download a full free version.

Well i used robocopy for copying about 150GB from our old file server to our new one....and it worked perfectly and really fast....just take some time, read the manual and setup the command line that you want to use before actually performing the operation.

But go ahead...use robocopy...it does what you want....well unless you are someone that absolutely requires a GUI :)

let me know if you need more info.

grtz

De rooie poon....is never alone

Thank much for your reply. I used robocopy because I could not find imagepro. However, it did copy the files and I might add, very fast but the permissions were not copied.

I went through the doc but no information regarding the file rights.

Thanks again.

Well, my guess is you used the wrong parameters for the copy job.

to include the NTFS security information you have to add
the /sec command when you run robocopy.

for all the switch options please check

Is suppose I have an older version of robocopy that does not allow /sec options. Anywhere I could download the new release of robocopy?

Thanks again.

Yep...i think you have the old version of robocopy.

The /Sec option is available in version 1.95 that can be
dowloaded from:

This should help you out in the future, and why would
you want to use a payed fancy software tool when you can
do this with a free simple util 2 times as fast?

good luck with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back