Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming user Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAIG2432

Technical User
Jan 23, 2007
GB
We have a single server running SBS2003 R2, and are needing to deploy roaming user profiles.
After deploying the roaming profile, it only worked for a few log ons then it just loaded the local cached copy.

Has anyone had simalar troule?

A little further infomation.

I have set up the user profile path, and I can see that the relevent profile was created.

If I cheque on the PC i can see that the profile status says Roaming...

Any ideas?

One thing I have come across is you need to ensure you have switched off 'Caching' on the roaming profiles folder on the server.

Don't suppose you know why Roaming profiles is so slow, it's getting to the point that the 20mins it takes for the clients to boot up is out weighing any benefit from having Roaming Profiles switched on!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

Thanks for that.

I have found that Roaming profiles are only slow on there first couple of log on's. This is as the profile is written to the server.

Where abouts would i turn off caching mode on the server?

1DMF - Regarding slowness... have you excluded and/or used Document Redirection for your My Documents folder?

The only two things we find slow down roaming profiles is the fact that left on default settings, it copies My Documents back and forth between the client/server... and when users have a lot of large files on their desktop (which is also copied in Roaming Profiles).

Someone with a lot of music files in My Documents would take a real long time to log on if the My Documents folder was not being redirected to the server. We use Group Policy to do this.

Well I guess I'll have to accept the slowness, we do not run remote backup of clients and the only way my docs gets backed up along with desktop is via roaming profiles , so i guess it'll have to stay!

Where abouts would i turn off caching mode on the server?

Windows Explorer -> go to Profiles folder, right click -> properties -> sharing tab -> caching button

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

You can us My Documents redirection to keep the users My Documents folders on the server. Then just have your backup system backup whatever folder you keep them in.

The idea is to eliminate the constant back and forth copying of the My Documents folder that occurs if you just turn on Roaming Profiles and do not ALSO turn on the redirection of My Documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back