Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming / Roving Profiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOSCO

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
GB
Hi guys, I hope you can help me...

I want a users desktop settings AND outlook settings to follow them in an office environment, is this roaming profiles?

Can anyone also distinguish between Roaming and Roving profiles?

What do you think the best solution would be to set this up for around 12 workstations and 20 users?

Any help pointers are GREATLY appreciated!

Roaming profiles is what you want.

However, too many roaming profiles can be taxing to the network. You should be OK with 12 workstations though.

Roaming profiles are wonderful if you have the network resources. Not only is it taxing on your bandwith (Everytime you log off, it uploads your "My Documents", favorites, and desktop to a spot on your network.)but it is also a disk space hog. I turned it on and quickly figured out that some users had 1.5Gb of whatever in their Documents.

>I turned it on and quickly figured out that some users had >1.5Gb of whatever in their Documents.

Roaming profiles are great but this can be a problem. Best way to solve is by using folder redirection.
Usually I redirect the Start Menu to a standard directory and My Documents redirected to a Office documents directory ie. \\server1\Office Documents\%username%.

HTH

Ash.

"I turned it on and quickly figured out that some users had 1.5Gb of whatever in their Documents. "

I have about 20 people running roaming profiles on my network BUT I also give them home directories to store data so that they don't end up having 1.5gb profiles. Typically roaming profiles should be under 100mb. If it is running more then that.. start checking for MP3 files and AVI files!!!!

~TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back