Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2007
US
I took over a Server for my new client that was previously managed by a local company. They had set up roaming profiles and folder redirection on Server. To my knowledge i turned off both these settings, but problems have arisen:
- a). At night user leaves PC on. In the morning when they log in, their network drives have disconnected. They then have to restart PC to restore connectivity.

- b). Pc's still synchronize each time they shut them down.

Can someone give me details of how and where roaming profiles- folder redirection are set. This way i can be able to follow process to reverse.

bafana2010

Check out thread931-1238274

Not sure if this will stop the synchronization issue. Disable Offline Files: In Windows Explorer, on the client machine, click Tools, Folder Options, Offline Files, un-check Enable Offline Files, OK.

Tony

Users helping Users...

You can actually disable offline files completely for all PCs using Group Policy (to stop Syncronization). If you need help with this, reply to this thread.

cheeRs

how do i turn of group policy for roaming...........?

Bafana2010 said:
Can someone give me details of how and where roaming profiles- folder redirection are set. This way i can be able to follow process to reverse.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I read warnings against using Roaming Profiles so never used them.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Well if you go to Server Management > Users > Pick a particular user > Properties > Profile > And remove the Profile Path, then that user will no longer have a roaming profile.

If you are finding that new users are being given a roaming profile by default, then I would asuume that you will find this 'default' setting in Server Management > User Templates > User Template > Properties > Profile > Profile Path.

I've never touched Group Policy regarding Roaming Profiles

Thanks

- a). At night user leaves PC on. In the morning when they log in, their network drives have disconnected. They then have to restart PC to restore connectivity."

This is a also a symptom of the client not using the server's DHCP and/or a different DNS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back