Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profiles with terminal server/Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOMMYyT

MIS
Nov 6, 2001
US
We use Citrix over a WAN. It takes a long time for users with roaming profiles to log in because of the time it takes to download them. We tried using a Terminal server profile path and mandatory profiles. It helps but we have to many accounts to do this on all of them. Has anyone come up with a way to detect roaming profiles and prevent them from loading?

Hi
did u try to redirect the folders that are big in size like My Documents, so that the user profile does not contain his documents when loading his profile every time he logs on.

That's a very good point - ideally roaming profiles should be no bigger than 1 - 1.5 Mb.

Temporary Internet Files are one of the biggest culprits.

Also make sure that users save files to their home directories, or shares, rather than to their profiles.

I hope this helps

Is there anything that would help cut down on sizes on "Roaming Profiles"?

We have done the "delete temporary internet files" already and we have users saving everything to a network share for "my documents". But we are seeing users with profiles that range from 1 meg to 6 megs.

We are in a Win2k server w/sp2, MF 1.8 w/sp3 environment.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back