Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profiles/my documents problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulofmischief

Technical User
Apr 21, 2003
US
i have about 10 users setup with roaming profiles. they work superbly except for the my documents folder. you can add files and folders, but you can not delete them.when you try to delete files/folders from my docs, it disappears... but nothing is in the recycle bin, and next logon the files/folders are back. same thing with moving a file into a folder from my docs into a folder in my docs.

profile path is: \\server\username

home folder connects m: to \\server\username

my documents targets to the home folder\my docs

home folder, users and admins have full control

folders not set as read only.

im lost as what to try next. any ideas?

If the user with roaming profile is trying to delete something from his "My Docs", it would not be in recycle bin on his local machine.The profile is cached on the server.

This could be a permissions issue, or you may try to explicitely redirect "My Docs" to the server.

redirect my docs to my docs on the shared folder, same problem. delete/move something, logoff, logon and its back. plus it really increased the load times. from about 5-10sec to 3min+. plus after moving it back my load times are still junk. wth? have to check the logs tomorrow to see whats up.

as for permissions, the username folder has permissions set as full control for admins and user whos folder it is.

i do appreciate the suggestions tho! thanks!

If you are using roaming profiles, you do not need to redirect the home folder, etc. The entire profile is stored on a network path and cached locally. I believe your problem may be one of permissions. When you set up the profiles, you should have done a share for the profiles to be located like \\server\profile\ and set your users to use \\server\profile\%username% as their path. Thier individual profiles will autocreate in the \\server\profile\ path under thier username the first time they log on, and give them owner permissions for their profile. If you manually created the profile folders for them (i.e. \\server\profile\bob) then you do have a problem with permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back