Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles - Desktop Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivs7720

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2004
US
Hi,

I set-up a roaming profile and users cannot see the desktop background unless they go to display properties click "ok" but users can see the selected background is what it was setup for roaming profile and do not have to change it but to click "ok".

Not sure why. How can I fix this?

Thank you in advance!

Where are the background files located? If they are on a mapped drive then this might be your problem, i've found the desktop policy applies before the drive maps and so it fails. If you put it in a UNC share instead i think you will find it works, alternativly put the file on the C drive of all the stations.

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

bofhrevenge2,

I tried both and failed. I shared wallpaper folder and set the desktop wallpaper pointing to unc path and also I tried to copy jpg file on c: drive on both server and clients but failed to register the wallpaper when client log on.

I thought the unc path will work but I am really not sure why clients cannot get the wallpaper.

Any thoughts?

Could it be a problem with active desktop, if it's a jpg file then this will need to be enabled.

Is the file specified in the roaming profile or are you setting it with group policy?

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

bofhrevenge2,

I tried enabled active desktop and still fails.

It is setup in roaming profiles.

I cannot find anybody having this problem as well. and I tried many different setup but still not working.

It there a rights issue. We had a similar issue where users did not have ocal admin rights to their own PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back