Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profiles and folder redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

port27374

Technical User
Feb 14, 2004
I have setup a new windows server 2003 domain with 9 clients, xp pro.

everyones profile is located on the server in a shared folder called profiles$

everyone has local path set for home directory
i have enabled folder redirection through group policy for this domain of the following folder

Application data
Desktop
My Documents
Start Menu

everything seems to be working fine with the roaming profiles and folder redirection, until users change from one computer to another - the main problem is occurring with MS outlook 2007 -

When outlook is started on another PC with a new user profile that that has not logged in on it before, outlook complains about not finding the data file, i click OK and then it pops up with a "cannot find c:\document and settings\user1\application data\microsoft\outlook\outloo..." error...

My question is, if folder redirection is working, then why isnt outlook (which is installed on the local machine) picking up the "application data" folder and its contents from the server located profile when the redirected folder is sitting and looking in their for the users outlook setting based in the redirected application data folder?

many thanks
adam

Are you sure that outlook error isn't saying 'cant find c:\documents and settings\user1\LOCAL SETTINGS\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst'?

Hi rickrude11 - ever so sorry - You are right - the exact message that comes up when i first attempt to load outlook 07 is:

"The file C:\Document and Setting\user1\Local Settings\ Application\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst" cannot be found"
This warning dialog box is titled "personal folders"

When i click ok - it presents another prompt to locate the whereabouts of this file, which isnt useful since i have hidden my profiles folder with the $ sign... so i click cancel and outlook seems to load a little further and asks present the same wrning box, then when i cancel that it presents it a third and last time after which when i press cancel on the file locator box outlook exits.

Is this something to do with syncing the application data folder at logoff or do i need to reconfigure outlook to look for the files in a different place?

many thanks

'local settings\app data' is not redirected (local settings stays local), so yea, i would just configure a different location.. perhaps each users 'home drive'?

thanks rickrude11 - ill try that and update you on my luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back