Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles & permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
US
I have 5 Metaframe 1.8 servers running a published desktop, I use roaming profiles and keep all the profiles on a share on a BDC. We are trying to remove the BDC from the site and I have tried to move the profiles to a share on a non-domain controller but continually get an error re: permissions when trying to log into metaframe and load the profile....

Any help would be appreciated.

1. How are you moving the profiles? Copying them from one location to another, or moving them from within the User Profiles area of the system properties?

2. Is the new location on a server that is a member server in the same domain?

3. Do you have NFTS as well as share permissions set on the folder and the share?

Let's start there, I'll try to help out.

SeanFlynn

I started by trying to copy a single profile directory from the BDC to a file server directory with the same share name as the BDC profile directory. The share properties are Everyone Full and the NTFS permissions are identical.

The file server is a member server in the same domain as the BDC they are being copied from. The BDC is obviously WinNT and the file server is running Win2k.

When I login to Citrix there is no problem, but as soon as I try to logout I get an error that the profile cannot be copied.

I am doing this test with my account and I am a domain admin so permissions should not be a problem. If I change my profile back to use the BDC as the profile path it works fine...

It is very peculiar.

Try recopying the profile with the scopy utility. I think it's on the server CD, but might be on the Res Kit. It works like xcopy except it copies permissions as well. That will ensure you do really have the right permissions.

I'm sure you remembered to repoint the (TS) profile directory to the new location in User Manager for Domains.

For more specific info, try running filemon from sysinternals on the new server to see what files you are being denied access to.

lets see what happens then.
-gbiello

gbiello,

I copied the files using robocopy so that permissions were maintained, I will give filemon a shot.

Thanks.

Maybe it's because the BDC has a copy of the domain ACL, but the new member server does not. Maybe you need to add the Citrix users global group(s) as members of local groups. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

I assumed that might be the case, but was unsure what local group to add the "Metaframe Users" global group to.

You can call it whatever you like - or just add it to "Users", to maintain the share permissions you've created. As long as they have permission to log on locally, this should work. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Have you tried browsing to the profile directory while you're logged in as the user and opening the folder up and perhaps trying to make changes in the folder?

Environment:

Win2k Prof sp2 clients with ICA 6.01.963
Win2k Server sp2 running Citrix Metafame XP 1.0 build 1045

All users have roaming profiles.

Problem:

When a user connects'normally' to the LAN at work they have a default printer. When they logoff their profile is written to the file server. When they sign on again to any PC at work their default printer stays the same.

Then they go home and sign on with Citrix. Their default printer changes to whatever is the main printer on the client at home. When they logoff, their roaming profile is written to the file server (from the session on the citrix server).

When the user returns to work and logs on, their default printer has changed to some other printer than the one that was originally set on the LAN connected PC.

HELP!!

I need users to be able to set a default printer on their PC at work and also be able to print when at home. EIther to the home printer or to their work printer. Then they must be able to return to work and NOT have their default printer at work changed.

--Kevin

Technically, this should have been a new thread, but here's a possible fix anyway from Citrix's website:

Document ID: CTX335679

Hotfix XJ102W029 - Occasionally, if users attempted to log on immediately after logging off, they could not print to the default autocreated printer because another users printer was set as the default printer

-gbiello

Sorry - I meant to start a new thread. Thanks for the tip but I'm not sure it addreses my problem.

I'll get a new thread going and discuss it there.

--Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back