Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROAMING PROFILES - All Users Folder **Question**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitemtntn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
US
We use roaming profiles and place shortcuts in the network All Users folder (Desktop) when we want everyone to have certain icons on their desktops.
I have created a shortcut that points to
particular site
and placed it in the All Users\Desktop folder.
But this is not appearing on people's desktops for some reason. We have dedicated internet access but that shouldn't matter anyway because this shortcut points to an Intranet web page (internal). Any ideas anyone? Thanks......
-WhiteMtntn

First thought that comes to my mind is if you are using any sort of policy, the desktop settings in the policy could be over riding the roaming profile.

Let me clarify----
We have placed quite a few items in our All Users\Desktop folder and they appear on user's desktops and work fine....it's just this Http:// shortcut that won't appear.
-WhiteMtntn

You don't mention that you use any particular application with this url - maybe that's what is missing?

eg m:\program files\microsoft\iexplore.exe
Hope this helps

I've had a similar problem to this before where if you put a shortcut into 'all users' remotely (such as from the c$ share on a networked pc), the icon gets created off the screen, so the user has to do an 'arrange icons' to see it.....

Citrix Engineer and Age have good points. I'd like to add that I have not found a solution to this - and I dont think it is possible through drive mappings at least, and here's why:
If you're mapped to c$ remotely, the shortcut properties are not pointing to YOUR pc. Example:
If i remotely map a users c$ drive, and that drive is m:\, right-click the shortcut on the target PC, and goto properties..there, you'll find that the shortcut you created will point to Target "m:\Workstation\Winnt\Profiles|All Users\Desktop", and
Start In "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe"

As you can see - as soon as you disconnect tha mapping, the shortcut will not work. I havent tried using UNC to solve this, but the way it works is usually that a shortcut must be placed Locally on a PC. You cannot change the "m:\Workstation..etc" to "c:\Program files..etc" remotely through drive mappings.

I hope this made sense..Let me know if you find out a better way. Im gonna try when i get back to work on Monday myself! Im curious now..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back