Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxndr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2001
US
I have some users which I am unable to use their roaming profile. There is a profile on the server. Any help would be appreciated. Please be specific in any help u give.

Does it log on with a local profile? Is this a new roaming profile or were you able to log on with it before?

Have you set the path in usermanager to where their profile is stored? \\servername\profiledirectory\profile folder

To do this, open usr manger then the users account under their "profile button"

~TD

Dude:

I didn't write this article or worry too much if it fit your issue, I just pasted it here - RevNice
---------------------------
To configure a roaming profile that follows the user to different machines, you need to store the user's profile on a network share so he can download it each time he logs on.
You can set up roaming profiles in one of two ways. Either specify the profile path in user properties when creating a new user or copy the existing local profile to network share and modify the profile path in the user properties.
No matter which option you choose, make sure that you have manually shared the profiles folder as a hidden share (Profiles$) and assigned full permission to everyone.
If you are setting up a new user who needs a roaming profile, then specify the profile path in the user properties, for example, \\ServerName\Profiles$\%username%.
If the user already has a local profile and you want to convert it to a roaming profile, then copy the local profile to the shared folder (profiles) by specifying the path as \\ServerName\Profiles$\SafderM, where SafderM is the name of the user. After this, go to the user properties and specify the profile path as \\ServerName\Profiles$\SafderM. When the user logs in next time, the profile will be loaded from the network share.
To make the profile mandatory so the user cannot change it, rename the file ntuser.dat to ntuser.man.
Profiles are cached locally to machines. However, this can be disabled by following these steps:
* Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
* Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon.
* Create a value called DeleteRoamingCache of type DWORD (Edit/New/Dword).
*Set the value to 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back